Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default url shortening software

Has anyone any experience of software to this? Preferably not free so I can control it via the server. There seems to be lots of negative stuff on third party url shortening free/chargeable products e.g. bit.ly, budurl etc . Google do a free one but everything is public. There is a free open source one getting good reviews but not easy to config (yourls.org). Any ideas?

Scruffy
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Default Re: url shortening software

http://tinyurl.com/

What is your reason for using this Mr. Dawg?

This one looks good, but haven't used it
    http://codecanyon.net/item/url-short...hor=CodeCanopy

Gary

I am nervous of 3rd party stuff possibility of going AWOL like jotform did a while back.... if i have the stuff its always up to me to keep it working right and files in the right place

Thanks j and s for the info

Steve have you used this git hub one?

Scruffy
    Last edited by scruffy.thedog; 30 March 2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: more info
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

I am nervous of 3rd party stuff possibility of going AWOL like jotform did a while back....
    Not sure what you mean by this. JotForm as far as I know is alive and well. And I created a new form with it just yesterday.

Yes, but I think what scruff' means is that these third party embeddable services do go down from time to time which leaves your page sans form on occasion.

@Scruffy: No I have not personally used it.

I use yourls.org or tinyurl.org for shorten the url. I have installed in firefox addons for doing the same.

I think scruffy is referring to when Jotform famously went down because their servers were hosted in the USA and due to some overzealous government employee who saw that a person had used a jotform form to collect information which was then used in some fraud, he then contacted jotform who complied and had their servers shut down which meant that millions of forms were offline for 3 or 4 days. I myself had to change the codes manually on 30 websites. They have no migrated their stuff over to servers in europe to avoid this happening, at least for european users.

I guess we just have to put some trust in these online services such as jotform to safeguard our data.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk