Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default email client confusion...

Morning all!

So it's snowing here and it's march... but it didn't snow in Christmas when it should... go figure! I'm just as confused about the coding surrounding links that link to our email address. A normal link when I view source will show the www. address of the link it's going to but not when you link the anchor text to our email address. Instead of linking to info@mobileremaps.co.uk it shows:

<a href="&#109;&#97;&#105;&#108;&#116;&#111;&#58;&#10 5;&#110;&#102;&#111;&#64;&#109;&#111;&#98;&#105;&# 108;&#101;&#114;&#101;&#109;&#97;&#112;&#115;&#46; &#99;&#111;&#46;&#117;&#107;"

My questions are: Is this normal?
    Is there a way to get it to just say <ahref="info@mobileremaps.co.uk"> for example?

Thanks all for your help.

Default Re: email client confusion...

Web Designer encodes your email address to reduce the likelihood that SPAM robots will find your email address from the web page. This requires Javascript to be enabled in the browser (currently >95% of browsers). This is correct behaviour.
    IOW: Web browsers see the encoded address as mailto:info@mobileremaps.co.uk

My questions are: Is this normal?
    Yes

If you just add a mailto: link to your e-mail address as sledger has shown in bold face, then it will appear as such in your HTML document. It only gets encoded if you link something such as Send email to your e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    If you just add a mailto: link to your e-mail address as sledger has shown in bold face, then it will appear as such in your HTML document.
    As far as I can tell, the HTMLfilter.dll always encodes email address strings, with or without mailto:.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	encoded.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	95256

Ah, yes. I see that.