Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default March 2013 Guest Tips and Tricks - Designing a Stained Glass Window

Designing a Stained Glass Window

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	endFigure.png 
Views:	413 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	95172

This month on the XaraXone, Frances (angelize online) gets to beautiful windows this month, without the need for Windex. Learn how to create stained glass windows that would be the envy of Louie Tiffany; all you need is Xara and a little while to follow the steps. Achieve a touch of glass this month—download the resource files and follow along.

Then post your windows here.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Default Re: March 2013 Guest Tips and Tricks - Designing a Stained Glass Window

I have been waiting for this, hope I get time to work on it soon.

Angelize,

I have started the stained glass tutorial. When I open the tutorial, there is only one saved color on the color bar (sky blue). There is no other colors. Not sure if I'm missing something, but in number 7 you mention that there are a several saved and named colors, but I have only one.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I'm not sure why you have only the sky blue colour. You should have 8 named colours in total. 6 for the stained glass and 2 for the copper. I just downloaded the file from the Xone and all the named colours show up for me. Try downloading and opening the file again and Make sure to go into the options (either open the utilities menu and select options from the bottom of the list or Shift + Ctrl + O) and open the view tab and clear the check from delete unused colours and styles.

If you don't want to start over again from the beginning you should be able to transfer the colours to your existing document by creating a series of small rectangles in the new document one for each colour and apply the colours to the rectangles and then copy and paste them over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thank you Angelize

I had tried to download twice, and still no colors. So I tried again, but before I opened your file I cleared the check from delete unused colors and styles, and all the colors are there.

So, I hope to tackle it again tomorrow!

Francis is the background rectangle filled as one shape or by making individual shapes in between the branches and leafs and filling with the blue?

Stygg

I recommend with all my talent and all my heart that everyone opens a new document, press Ctrl+Shift+O to get to Options and then on the View tab, UNcheck the "Delete unused colors and styles when saving".

I guess I'm a color fiend, and have been fighting Xara over deleting colors from the color line for about a decade! The Xara Group has a lot of good ideas, but deleting colors to save on file size isn't one of them. When this option is on, it's virtually impossible to share a color palette with friends and co-workers.

My Best,

Gary

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi Stygg, the background needs to be separate shapes, otherwise when the transparencies are layered the bottom blue layer blends with the top shapes and I found the result isn't as nice. It's a bit more work, but it will give you good practice in working with the shape tool (or pen tool if you choose that)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks for that Francis, just wanted you to clarify that before starting a very pleasing tut. The extra line work is no problem, in fact I find it very relaxing

Stygg

Thank you very much for the tutorial Frances ! After doing the tutorial (I didn't get the colours either, but that's solved via this thread ), I experimented a bit with a pattern of my own. Here's the result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glasraam.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	95329
    Guy -

I love these tools