Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your favourite Movie

True lovers of film do not care about reviews and do not care which actor is in it (not a john wayne fan but loved the searchers), they just love a certain film which others may hate. From an early age I have loved films, my dad owned cinemas and the love of film comes from that.

This is my personal list in no particular order

Citizen Kane - both the technical side and the story
    Godfather, parts 1 and 2 only
    Lawrence of Arabia - close to perfection
    The Searchers - the only film John Wayne was any good in IMO
    It's a Wonderful Life - I love this film
    We're no Angels (1955 version), brilliant
    Unforgiven - eastwoods masterpiece
    The Sting
    The Odd Couple
    the philadelphia story
    Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
    The Third Man
    Animal Crackers
    12 Angry Men
    Jean de Florette
    Breathless (jean paul belmondo, not the richard gere version)
    Seven Samurai
    Red Sorghum
    Moghul E Azam
    Raising Arizona

Actually the list could go on and on but it is something to get you guys started.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Default Re: Your favourite Movie

I don't have a favourite movie.
    I either enjoyed watching what I just saw or I did not. I only remember movies I've enjoyed in the past if they come up in conversation, otherwise I don't commit such things to top-level memory.
    I have never understood why some people have DVD/Blu-ray collections of movies they enjoyed when they first saw them. Part of the thrill and enjoyment of a good story is in being 'surprised' by plots/twists and the unexpected. I rarely watch anything for a second time.. Movies I've downloaded from the web (sssh, don't tell!) are deleted after I watch them.
    I enjoy looking forward to something new, fresh and the unkown.
    I know, probably a shallow boring old phart..

I rarely watch movies a second time around, in fact from the list above I might watch one five to 6 years later. It is not a matter of twists and mysteries for me, it is the joy in watching great acting, or appreciating well written dialogue or the way a particular scene if shot or lit, just as you would appreciate a good painting. come on steve, surely there must be a movie you have enjoyed and thought the it is a great example of the art of moving making.

And by the way I don't have a movie collection either, though there is nothing wrong in that at all. And I look forward to watching something new and fresh, unfortunately the crap that is made these days is not worth watching. Back in the golden age every person who was involved in movies was an artist, they devoted their lives to a particular part of film making. These days actors become directors or producers, singers become actors, actors decide that they would like to write a screenplay, and this is why we have such mediocrity these days - the corporations decide the actor, the director the writers, the ending etc etc. That is why although it is a flawed film I quite enjoyed Hugo, because it showed the love of film Martin Scorsese has.

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    come on steve, surely there must be a movie you have enjoyed and thought the it is a great example of the art of moving making.
    Sure, lots over the years. I just don't keep them in my memory in order to recall them at will.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I don't often watch movies over again because as Steve has said it's just not as much fun if you already know what's going to happen, but there are some that are worth it.

One movie I watch every Christmas season: A Christmas Carol, the 1936 (I think ) version with Alistair Sim as Scrooge.

Another favourite in our household is A Mad Mad World
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Not sure if it my favorite(s) but a friend had a birthday party last weekend and his gift from his wife was a boxed set of Mel Brooks. We watched Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein (What big knockers!). Brooks and Woody Allen are right up there with my favorite directors.

3 of my most favorites are "Mans Favorite Sport", "The Great Race", and "The Day The Earth Stood Still". Maybe in that order. Although I rarely watch TV or go to a movie much any more.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Wish I new how to commit things to top-level memory, Steve. Guess I must have forgotten.
    In no particular order here are some films I could watch many times (no low-level memory either).
    Cinema Paradiso
    Duck Soup
    Buena Vista Social Club
    84 Charing Cross Road
    Amarcord
    Arlington Road
    Inglourious Basterds
    Blues Brothers
    North By Northwest
    Shaun Of The Dead
    Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia
    The Bucket List
    Privates On Parade
    Soylent Green
    Il Postino
    The Producers
    Once Upon A Time In America
    Life is Beautiful
    The Big Lebowski
    Three Amigos
    Night On Earth
    Sexy Beast
    Withnail & I
    Bob Roberts
    The Wild Bunch

Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Great selection Bob, I'm glad there is another person here who appreciates the genius of the marx brothers, in fact I have a list of groucho's quotes as my desktop. Some of my other favourites there, Three Amigos, Withnail & I and Shaun of the dead. And Larry good to know you liked The day the earth stood still, although I hope it's not the keanu reeves version. I also love to watch comedies and another to add to my list is The Ladykillers, not the god-awful remake, the ealing comedies are some of my favourites as well as silly but good movies like Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines, terry thomas was a legend, a true cad.

Here's my shortlist off the top of my head, most of these spring to mind when I think what are my favs but I'm probably forgetting more than a few.

The Matrix
    Matrix Reloaded
    Terminator 2
    Aliens
    Jurassic Park
    Goodfellas
    Gladiator
    Die Hard
    Star Trek
    Taken
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.