Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

The attached illustration started its life as a small pencil sketch in a sketch book. I scanned it in and was looking at in Xara wondering what I could do with it. I decided to try to alter it to look like a blueprint (diazo contact print). I found it was very easy to do so. Without converting the imported bitmap to an editable shape I gave the bitmap a blue fill and a white line colour. The blue didn't look right so I used the colour editor to adjust the colour of the fill until I liked it. I saved that colour as a named colour. Next I put a rectangle behind and gave it the new named colour as its fill. Simply adding some text and I was done.

It has taken me longer to one-finger type this message than it took to develop the image. I've a big inkjet plotter at work so I think I'll try plotting it out poster size to see how it looks.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on January 30, 2001 at 04:33 AM.]

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on February 04, 2001 at 11:59 AM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trainstation.jpg 
Views:	929 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	7917  

The attached illustration started its life as a small pencil sketch in a sketch book. I scanned it in and was looking at in Xara wondering what I could do with it. I decided to try to alter it to look like a blueprint (diazo contact print). I found it was very easy to do so. Without converting the imported bitmap to an editable shape I gave the bitmap a blue fill and a white line colour. The blue didn't look right so I used the colour editor to adjust the colour of the fill until I liked it. I saved that colour as a named colour. Next I put a rectangle behind and gave it the new named colour as its fill. Simply adding some text and I was done.

It has taken me longer to one-finger type this message than it took to develop the image. I've a big inkjet plotter at work so I think I'll try plotting it out poster size to see how it looks.

Regards, Ross

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on January 30, 2001 at 04:33 AM.]

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on February 04, 2001 at 11:59 AM.]

A prize goes to the first person who can correctly identify the train station that is illustrated above.

The prize will not be valuable but it will be "exclusive"! I'll send a nice Nova Scotia postcard to the winner!

Regards, Ross

Nice job, Ross, it looks great. I haven't visited many of these train stations, but it looks similar to the one in Frankfurt, Germany.

joroho
    Wise men still seek Him.

Ross, I've no idea which train station you've sketched. It does remind me of several stations in Europe, as Joroho mentioned Frankfurt, or possibly the main station in Basel Switzerland.

I like the blueprint effect. Please let us know how the plotter rendering works.

Great Job!

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The white on blue works really well for this picture.

The station looks like something across the pond. The only non-US train station name I can think of is Victoria Station, so I'll have to guess that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Allison

There is a nice station which resembles that in Antwerpen, Belgium.

Regards,

ivan

My balcony overlooking Tower Bridge, London - no, I\'m poor!

Hmmm, I bet it's in Canada. But, it does look like Hamburg Station to me?

A nice drawing, Ross

I get the feeling that person on the right standing just above the 'n' has just remembered he left his lights on in the carpark..

Q.

http://www.Qdesign.co.nz

Keep guessing on the train station! Getting close!

I was happy with the blueprint effect so I tried to make a sepiaprint. It has given new life to an old blackline pen & ink sketch I did years ago. By the way, Xaran David King's family, if I'm not mistaken, own the cinema/theatre across the street from this building. It is a small world and Annapolis Royal is an even smaller town. Come to Nova Scotia for a visit!

Regards, Ross

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on January 30, 2001 at 04:31 AM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sepiaprint.jpg 
Views:	803 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	17680