Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default importing pdf problem

Hi everybody,

I scanned a document and saved it as pdf, then i tried to import/open it with xara photo & graphic designer 7 and i got an error saying that "this page could not be imported"
    could it be from the scanner itself such as restrictions from settings ? any tips?

Thank you very much for your time.

Default Re: importing pdf problem

The answer lies in the word "scanned".
    The pdf will contain a single bitmap image.
    XPGD is a vector format package and there is where the conflict lies.

what does that mean? i scanned lot of documents before and had them imported to xara with no problem and edited them , is it the scanner saving problem you mean? shall i use another software to scan?

Thank you

If you scan something, the result is a bitmap. A bitmap is a grid of tiny colored pixels.

A PDF file can contain bitmaps, such as the ones you scanned, and it can also include editable text, and vector objects. Bitmaps can only be edited in a bitmap/photo editing application such as Photoshop. If the PDF contains editable text, and vector objects (which are not bitmaps), then you can import this into Xara and edit some of the elements.

If the PDF file only contains a bitmap that you scanned, then you can import this into Xara, but you cannot edit the text or any other parts of the bitmap, except as a bitmap. In a bitmap, the text is no longer text but small pixels.

This is what Graphix Smelter is saying.

You should be able to Import the PDF into Xara. There are two ways to do this. You can drag and drop the PDF file into Xara, or yo0u can import it (File > Import > Type of File: PDF) in either case you will be asked if you want to import the document for editing or viewing.

But as we have said, you will only be able to edit the bitmap as a bitmap.

Does this make sense?

the problem may be that the version of PDF that your scanner software saves to, is not one XPGD7 recognises [supports]

the simplest solution is to scan to another file type such as PNG/BMP/PSD [I'd avoid JPG] if your scanner will do this

[this is assuming that you do not have scanner software that vectorizes the scan before saving - if that's the case might be better to scan as bitmap, save in one of those alternative formats I mentioned and vectorize separately]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

As Grafix reported saying your PDF is a bitmap why not change your scanner export setting to .png or .jpeg and try that. Unless you use Office and do an OCR and save it that way exporting from a scanner will always be a bitmap.
    Design is thinking made visual.