Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Re: Windows 8 .. ..worse than Vista!

My PC runs Win8 and I totally agree with the whole article. I'm using a shell to be able to use a Win7 interface, the Metro interface does not belong on a desktop at all....it's a waste of space and resource....not that I feel strongly about it. I'm used to using whatever is around but this has to be the biggest failure I've ever seen from MS in an OS.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

My first reaction to Windows 8 was with the Surface RT. Being an iPad user, I initially found the Windows 8 interface extremely unintuitive and I would generally say, that if you are a happy iPad user, you probably won't like the Surface/Win8 combo.

That being said, I recently built a new high end desktop and decided to go with Windows 8 x 64 to force myself to learn the new way, as I work with computers alot and figured I may as well bite the bullet now. At first there was a lot of frustration as I found myself Googling how to do things I instinctively knew on older versions. Simple things, like, how do you close a Win8 App? There is no little X in the upper right hand corner. (Regular programs still have that of course.) However, once past the knee of the learning curve, I have to say that I actually like the interface, and think it will be important for this reason. Touch screens are likely to become more common, even on desktops. In the short term, we are already seeing many laptops with touch screens built in. Then there is the new breed of "hybrids", which are essentially ultrabooks or laptops with screens that can be flipped in a way to be used like a tablet. I see this as a market that will grow.

Microsoft clearly sees a future here for touch screens as well, and I wouldn't count them out just yet. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...o-333672.shtml

It remains to be seen whether Windows 8 will be a marketing success or not, of course. I suspect that the desktop market is going to shrink, giving way to other/smaller devices that focus on the social networking aspect. Between that and dedicated game boxes that stream video and provide home theater capabilities, the majority of people will not need a traditional desktop. Furthermore, I don't think there is a compelling reason to upgrade to Windows 8 from 7 on existing hardware. The interesting thing will be what ratio of new desktop and laptop sales are sold with 8 vs. 7 going forward.

I've shown a few people how to use the touch interface, and so far, none have reacted negatively to it. The response is usually, "Oh, ok. That's not so bad." I think the hurdle for Microsoft is that most people are so familiar with doing things the old way that they will be frustrated trying to figure it out on their own.

Having both the Metro interface and the Desktop available on the same system doesn't really bother me. And, if you really want to make it act like the Win7 desktop, there are ways.

Steven, I think you right - we are in a transition period. Windows 8 will get there in the end, even if it has to become windows 9!

Hardware is changing fast.

What will matter will be real live performance (speed, stability) compared to Windows 7 and other OS and you can't tell much about those factors, yet.

People are overreacting on Windows 8. Yes it's different, but that doesn't mean it's worse. It takes a little getting used to if you used a different OS before, but that's the case with all new things, normally. Sure Windows 95 till 7 got the same GUI, basically. But trying something a little new isn't bad in days of touchscreens everywhere, even desktops have them...

What will matter will be real live performance (speed, stability) compared to Windows 7 and other OS and you can't tell much about those factors, yet.

People are overreacting on Windows 8. Yes it's different, but that doesn't mean it's worse. It takes a little getting used to if you used a different OS before, but that's the case with all new things, normally. Sure Windows 95 till 7 got the same GUI, basically. But trying something a little new isn't bad in days of touchscreens everywhere, even desktops have them...

Quote Originally Posted by vincewicks View Post
    ...even desktops have them...
    And that's a good thing how exactly?
    I have spend years and years training children, family, friends and customers to keep their finger OFF screens, then someone decides that making screens you need to touch is a good idea?
    Bonkers

Whether we agree or not, almost all new mobiles have nothing but touch-screens. No more keys to press to dial or text. It's the virtual keyboard, or nothing, on these phones!

We weren't asked whether we wanted it or not, it was decided by... well, someone!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Smartphones and pads are a different kettle of fish altogether, I'm with you there Rik

A someone who occasionally swipes his finger across the screen, I look forward to the day when it actually works, which can't be too far away now.

Windows 8 is in a difficult place - a transition between mobile and desktop. Windows 7 is a perfectly good OS, so the move to W8 isn't an imperative and when you do get there, the desktop version leaves you in essentially a mixture between both worlds.

On my Mac, it sometimes feels like I'm using an iPad. I can swipe across the trackpad and move between multiple screens. The app launcher is very similar. If I had a 15" iPad with the power of the MacBook and a clip-on keyboard, I'd be very, very happy. Microsoft is trying that trick with the surface.

Windows on mobile is getting some very good feedback. I often wonder about Steve Balmer though, he has a charisma bypass to say the least.