Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default VERY large site which has been split into two halves so version 7 could cope.

Hi Guys and Gals, here's my site that I've just about finished, there's still some tidying up to do, well actually, the tidying is constant as the links are always changing/dying

It is a bit too big for version 7 to cope with the export hence the reason I had to split it into two and embed the 2nd half into the first bit... if you have a look under 'Entertainment' Actractions and also Museums, both these sub sections have been created in a separate site and then exported into the same folder as the main site. www.lookinuk.com you'll also get an idea of what I'm hoping to do from the main site, again, created in version 7, www.lookincentral.com

I would love to create the navbar as a Mega Menu, I think it makes sense due to its size, perhaps Xara will drop that option into version 9? I'm pretty sure it's not in version 8 else I'd upgrade and at the moment you get manual free.

Kind regards

David

Default Re: VERY large site which has been split into two halves so version 7 could cope.

Welcome to TalkGraphics David

Your first post was moderated because you have linked to a commercial website (yours).

There is a lot going on there.

Breaking your site into smaller chunks is a good way to go.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: VERY large site which has been split into two halves so version 7 could cope.

Actually the Xara Web gallery forum is a moderated forum and all posts here are moderated to keep the spammers out and it gives us a chance to check the sites that are posted here to be sure that a) they have been made using a Xara product and b) they contain no offensive material, spam links etc.

Thanks Gary for approving this one for me. Generally I'm fairly quick to approve new posts here but sometimes if I'm busy with work etc or if a post comes in through the night I may be a few hours before I can get to it.

@David: Welcome to Talkgraphics Your site looks good. Thanks for sharing it with us. I like the mouse over effect on the menu items. I think as Gary has said that splitting things up as you have done is the best way to go for a large site like this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Actually the Xara Web gallery forum is a moderated forum and all posts here are moderated
    Actually, all new threads first go into the moderation queue, not all posts.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Actually, all new threads first go into the moderation queue, not all posts.
    Just a quick thank you to you all for such a warm and pleasant welcome to the forum, I'm no developer, just a chap that dabbled with dreamweaver some years ago now and gave up as it was too slow and at the time I was unable to give it the time it deserved. I've played with serif, haven't we all, but again, found it had issues, especially with navbars, finally, Xara has allowed me to create my own navbar design and better still, it works on ipads, tablets etc... serif can't make that claim, yet... I'd be interested to hear your views on mega menus? Do you think they're a good thing, I'll never have the intelligence to code one so I'd have to wait for the good guys at Xara to drop a tool into Web Designer... thanks again

Kindest regards

David

You're most welcome David. We like to mince words in this forum. But always in a friendly way.

Nice one MR. Totally impressed! Must have taken ages! I'm also working with version 7 and have created this Link removed, which is also an on going project.

Moderator's note: Link removed because the site is NSFW (Not safe for work) the link to this site in another thread has been removed by the Admin.
    Last edited by angelize; 13 March 2013 at 09:00 PM.

Question Re: VERY large site which has been split into two halves so version 7 could cope.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobitejake View Post
    Just a quick thank you to you all for such a warm and pleasant welcome to the forum, I'm no developer, just a chap that dabbled with dreamweaver some years ago now and gave up as it was too slow and at the time I was unable to give it the time it deserved. I've played with serif, haven't we all, but again, found it had issues, especially with navbars, finally, Xara has allowed me to create my own navbar design and better still, it works on ipads, tablets etc... serif can't make that claim, yet... I'd be interested to hear your views on mega menus? Do you think they're a good thing, I'll never have the intelligence to code one so I'd have to wait for the good guys at Xara to drop a tool into Web Designer... thanks again

Kindest regards

David
    Hi Guys and Gals

Well, I've now updated to V9 64 bit as I'd hoped it would cope better on the export when I do my link updates, but no real change there I'm afraid to report, it even crashed the first time I attempted to open the V7 site and then export in V9. Seems to have settled down now thankfully. I'd love to give the site a major improvement with regards to the navigation, I'm no developer hence the reason I use Xara so don't suppose any of you would like to recommend or advise me in how I might improve my site, it's still going strong and my visitors have increased a little but it just doesn't seem to bring people back, any help or ideas on what I could add to the site would be gratefully received, thanks in advance www.LookinUK.com

Kindest regards

David

'A bit of a dreamer'

any help or ideas on what I could add to the site would be gratefully received, thanks in advance
    Some content?