Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Page titles when converting website

I'm kind of new to this, so I don't know if it's a dumb question or not...

I previously published my website with Yahoo Sitebuilder and was not happy with it, so I purchased Xara Web Designer and I am redoing my website.

My question is, with sitebuilder my pages were capitalized (www.sitename.com/Services.html) and Xara has them as lowercase (www.sitename.com/services.html). When I republish the site, is it going to mess anything up by having the page names different? I'm mostly concerned with search engine ranking, and broken links. I don't know if it's something I should worry about or not.

Also, does anyone know if republishing a website from scratch hurts your search engine ranking for a little while, or does it just update when google crawls it?

Thank you, Rachel

Default Re: Page titles when converting website

Welcome to TalkGraphics Rachel

I don't think it will make any difference, but one of our more knowledgeable members may disagree.

In the long run you're better off using lower case because the will work with all servers.

And as long as you publish your entire site then pages with the same name will be overwritten with the new files, as long as you publish your site with the file name index.html. .html will always take precedence over .htm

It won't affect anything; lowercase is better in the Page filename, as enforced by Xara (open your Web Properties to see).
    SEO is also looking at the Page title, in which you can have a mixture of letter case.

The type of thing you are doing is constructing a page for SEO where it scans page with a Page filename of welcome_most_excellent.htm with a similar Page title of "Welcome to my Excellent Website". Provided your page also has the words "excellent", "website" and "most" in the main text, you'll get a high ranking.

Acorn

Thank you so much for your help! I'm looking forward to publishing my website, Xara has been a great program so far!

We look forward to seeing it Rachelynn.