Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Use exisiting bitmap button to create stretchy button?

Been tinkering with the trial of Pro X 8 to see if I could get an existing .png button I created elsewhere to convert to a stretchy button with poor results, so I thought I'd ask. ;']

overview: already tried tracing with ProX, Illustrator, and the freeware InkScape. You'll see why these had a fit once you see my button attached below. (carbon fiber fill)

Now..... I almost got it to work in ProX but the weird thing is.... if I increase the button text it just overruns the button width. (ie: button doesn't stretch with text) But..... if I backspace over my initial button text of "Button", the darn button will shrink with the text..... well actually backspace off it's right edge deleting the image as it goes along. So in essence, it is "stretchy" controlled by it's text, but not useable.

Ok... so yes, I did "attempt" to just re-create the entire original button in ProX from scratch, using the "carbon fiber texture" as a fill to a rectangle, but it just isn't the same as I am not very savvy with the program yet. (PS was what I created it in initially) I was hoping to make this thing and pass it on to the community as a small thank you for all the help I've been provided.

Thanx in advance!
    Here is the original bitmap / .png
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Use exisiting bitmap button to create stretchy button?

IŽam not sure if i have understand your request really good, but i have tried to edit a finished button and fill it with (carbon fiber fill) also bitmap fill, but that not work with the button, so i have drawn only lines and changed the color of the button. attached is .xar file maybe that help you if you can see it, sorry if anything wrong from me, iŽam not so prof. in web things.
    But want to help.
    Best regards
    BP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stretchy Button.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	94820  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

gwpriester: Where do you think I learned how to make a stretchy button in the first place?

Black Panther: I did this also.... used a design gallery button and replaced it's "colors" with my carbon fiber fill. Works great but if you look at the attachment, it has a different look. More square with a flat-faced 3D look, then the two narrower highlights top and bottom.

I did create one from scratch in ProX and managed to get it "close", but I can't seem to get the 3D look just right. I'm no artist by any means (just a enthusiast) so cheating with PS filters made the original fairly easy for me to create as a bitmap. Wish I could just cheat again and have Xara convert it. <grin> And the fill is too "busy" to trace or convert to paths. Still learning some of the tricks in a vector app such as Xara.... and you ALL have been invaluable!!! In fact, this has to be one of the most active forums of any topic that I have visited. A big CHEERS to this community is in order.... you all deserve it!

Jim

used a design gallery button and replaced it's "colors" with my carbon fiber fill. Works great but if you look at the attachment, it has a different look. More square with a flat-faced 3D look, then the two narrower highlights top and bottom.

Hi Jim, if you find my design for your button more 3D look, i can submit you .xar file to see it and change it after your need.
    the second one is filled with default Bitmap.
    Just let me know please.
    Best regards
    BP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Button.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	94851  
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

Here is my attempt, made from scratch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carbon-button.png 
Views:	404 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	94857

carbon-button.xar

Hi, following that tutorial on Xaraxone, this menu on the picture where is in Xara Designer Pro X? Because somehow not able to find in Name gallery

Name:	Extend_button.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	94859

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    Hi, following that tutorial on Xaraxone, this menu on the picture where is in Xara Designer Pro X? Because somehow not able to find in Name gallery

Name:	Extend_button.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	94859

thanks,
    You will find it here

Name:	name gallery.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	94861

I mean the Name gallery of course found but those blue marked Horizontally - Vertically extend options

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    I mean the Name gallery of course found but those blue marked Horizontally - Vertically extend options
    Press the arrow to the right side of the object name to open those options

Name:	687.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	94865