Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I create a narrower copy of text object with Photo & Graphics Designer

Might be missing something obvious but can't work this out.
    If I create a text object, then copy and duplicate, how do make the width of the duplicate text smaller whilst maintaining the length of the object.
    I have worked out that I can use borders around text to create a smaller version however the effect is not suffice.
    Effectively what I want to achieve is the 'feather' effect that reduces the width but retain the overall shape and dimension without any distortions.

Hopefully I have described sufficiently what I am trying to achieve!!!

Stuart

Default Re: How do I create a narrower copy of text object with Photo & Graphics Designer

Not sure this is what you are asking for but here is a method.
    1. Create the text you want.
    2. Make a second copy with a smaller font
    3. Highlight the second copy and then use the text tracking/kerning tool to adjust the kerning so that the smaller text takes up the same width as the original.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reduced Text.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	94755

Default Re: How do I create a narrower copy of text object with Photo & Graphics Designer

The kerning method makes sense, I can use advanced properties to switch off auto-kerning however when I select the text object the kerning option is disabled!!

Below is a graphical example of what I am trying to achieve

Name:	text.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	94756

Hopefully it makes sense.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by dcahall View Post
    Not sure this is what you are asking for but here is a method.
    1. Create the text you want.
    2. Make a second copy with a smaller font
    3. Highlight the second copy and then use the text tracking/kerning tool to adjust the kerning so that the smaller text takes up the same width as the original.

Name:	Reduced Text.jpg 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	94755

I think if you converting the text to editable shapes and then working with them is the best path to get where you are wanting to go. You might be able to Shift-click all of the characters and work will all of them at the same time.

One of the problems with converting to shapes is that it relies on being to accurately adjust the points to create a smaller version of the original character, that is not one of my best skills!!!

You can do this with the Contour tool. There are limits to how
    much you can shrink the letters before you begin to lose sections
    of some letters.
    1. Make a clone of your text object.
    2. Select the Contour tool.
    3. Press the Miter join button on Info Bar.
    4. Drag Contour arrow inward. Watch the letter outlines and
    stop before parts of letters begin to approach zero width.
    5. Change number of steps in contour from the default 4 to 1.
    6. Press the Insert Path button on Info Bar. This will create the
    new text object at the narrower size.

I think this is the best approach if we understand what the object is :-)

I think lagman nailed it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

The contour method described by iagman provides another option that I can use in the future.
    Below is a graphic showing the differences with the use of a border against the contour method.

Name:	text2.jpg 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	94781

Personally I think for the text chosen the border option provides a sharper image.

-----------------------
    Stuart

Hi time2innov8,

Depending on your needs, here's another even simpler option that you can use with Text.

1. Create your text.
    2. Select the text as a regular object.
    3. Change the "Line Width" from "None" to whatever you want eg: 2pt
    4. Open the "Current Line & Fill" tool & from the top drop down, change the "Local line color" from Black into whatever you require.
    5. If need be, go back to the "Line Width" & experiment with the pt size to suit.

HTH, Colin