Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How do I do this is Xara?

Never mind I have it figured out now.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi all, sorry I missed all the questions.

csehz: yes the diagram you posted in your last post (post #8) is correct and is how it should look/work. I've attached an example as well, which also shows what shaped line I originally used.

Rik: is it possible that you didn't have the 1:1 node mapping option set in the blend infobar? I only ask because I got something a bit similar (not quite as extreme though) when I first blended the two lines, until I used this setting.

Larry: was this the same thing that was causing your problem too or was it something else?

Regards

Su
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blendlines.gif 
Views:	99 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	94846  
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Thanks Su just again, I have just continued with the circles in the attached file, for sure someone can do it more beautiful but it is sure so that possible to do in Xara Moreover even easier with the Blend tool

Abstract_lines_try3.xar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abstract_lines.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	94848

Su, it was something else.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

No worries csehz glad to help.

Nice job on your image.

Larry: ok then (maybe keep that in mind in case Rik is still having issues).

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Oh great now I have to nursemaid Rik. Oh well...it's a tough job but someone has to do it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Su: 1:1 Node Mapping can only be selected after applying the blend. Then when I do, nothing changes.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Rik,
    here is what I had to do.

1, 48pt line
    2. Convert line to shape
    3. apply 12 pt line
    4. convert to editable shapes
    5. with the shape editor tool select and break the 4 points, Su described.
    1-5 same as Su

6. At this point more often than not I was left with 48pt line, so I set it to a 12pt line and cleared the color of the origional shape (48pt line).
    7. select and delete the two smaller end lines.
    8. This is where I deviated from Su's instructions. Because when attempting to blend those two lines I would get what you ge, so because they were lines I selected both and converted line to shape. Then the blend operation worked for me.

The rest was as Su said.

If Su is reading this I hope she sets me streight. Cause I don't want to be the bearer of false information.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Rik: yes the 1:1 can only be set once your lines are a blend, before I set it I had a similar issue, just not as 'messed up' as in your example.

One thing you might want to check: If you select both lines and click on the shape editor tool (so you can see how many point handles/nodes are in each line) then add any 'missing' nodes to the line that has the least (in approx the same sort of place as in the other line - doesn't have to be absolutely accurate position). So when both lines have the same number of nodes ... hopefully the 1:1 option will work. I just had a play and on my third blend I got the issue you had (even with 1:1 set) ... one of my lines was missing a node and once I added that it worked ok. So I guess sometimes it depends on the original line shape and how many point handles/nodes Xara decides to use.

Larry: don't panic ... hopefully this node thing will solve it.

Regards

Su

Ah ... just seen Larry's reply above ...
    Larry: I think it might be possible that this is the same issue with nodes as I mentioned to Rik above, if the blend only works for you after converting the lines to shapes, might be worth checking out to see if 'mirroring' nodes helps.
    Last edited by Su Lawrence; 03 March 2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: added reply to larry's post above

Thanks Su, I'll check it out and see.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509