Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Default Re: Interweaving vines with 3D text

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    Dave I think you've been talking about making the shapes as per Gary's file from scratch so I have posted this file for you, hope it helps. I think we all got crossed lines as to what we were talking about, making the shapes or inspecting them in the original Gary file, well I did anyway

Stygg
    Thanks Stygg - Before I received this one, I figured out that where I was going wrong before was not cloning in between steps from before. However, this one made it even clearer. I appreciate this feedback. I kept trying to do everything to the first cloned object and one step just wiped out the other one. Think I understand this step now and I can see where it is going to be handy.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Hi Dave I don't think I've done anything here that P&GD can't do There is no feathering involved in the lawn at all. here is a breakdown of how it's done. the linear transparency is applied at the end and if you select the lawn before ungrouping it and select the transparency tool you should see the linear transparency (it's quite short so you may need to zoom in) When you take it apart remove the linear transparency first before ungrouping otherwise the linear transparency causes the disappearing act you are seeing. (I think it has to do with the mold)

If there is interest how about we start a new thread to discuss transparencies and fills in more depth?
    Thanks Frances - This clarifies some things for me. When I ungroup the lawn I cannot find the small object at all. Also when I click the transparency tool for the lawn, I see Many instead of the fractal-stained glass transparency (is that because of mould tool modification of the original lawn object?). I zoomed to 8000% and still do not see your little short object. I even set the View quality down to 0 to try to find it and do not see it anywhere

Between you, Stygg and Gary, I have learned some neat tricks here. I am going to mess around with these for a while. Unfortunately, I lost some of my "picture" so I have to try to reconstruct some of it but I would like to see this through to the end (be patient with me Gary). I hope others may be following this thread and learning some things as well.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi Dave without ungrouping the lawn click on it and select the transparency tool, you should see the linear fill handle at the top center of the lawn. This is what gives the soft top edge.

If you ungroup the mold the linear transparency is removed and you will have just the mold to ungroup the mold either select the mold tool and click remove or right click the mold and select open mold (this opens an edit inside window and requires at least version 7) you will now have a group of two rectangles ungroup this and you will have two rectangles select just the top rectangle and select the transparency tool and you will see that it has a stained glass bitmap transparency. you should also see the bitmaps used in my file in the bitmap gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mold with linear transparency.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	95002  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by dcahall View Post
    Thanks Stygg - Before I received this one, I figured out that where I was going wrong before was not cloning in between steps from before. However, this one made it even clearer. I appreciate this feedback. I kept trying to do everything to the first cloned object and one step just wiped out the other one. Think I understand this step now and I can see where it is going to be handy.
    Just to clarify Dave, there is only two shapes, the base and the cloned shape, all the fills, starting with the linear fill are done in the one clone, that is the clone gets a linear fill and in the same shape, a transparency as shown, one clone two fills, in that order linear then Fractal transparency

Stygg

I've sort of bowed out of this thread, and I think I may have muddied it up instead of clarifying stuff regarding the fills I used in the Hacienda drawing.

Big point here:

A shape can have a fill and a transparency type. What I did was give the ground shape a certain fill type, a linear gradient, and then a fractal transparency type.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I've sort of bowed out of this thread, and I think I may have muddied it up instead of clarifying stuff regarding the fills I used in the Hacienda drawing.

Big point here:

A shape can have a fill and a transparency type. What I did was give the ground shape a certain fill type, a linear gradient, and then a fractal transparency type.

-g
    I fully understand this now. I do not think you muddied it. I just missed the point of how to achieve certain parts which I now see as very important. I am making a pretty big revision but am not ready to post. I actually want to take my time and hopefully get MUCH closer to what you have been trying to teach. For me, personally, I think it is an important point to be able to put things together in a much more professional/artist approach as a base to build on in the future.

I am asking you to stay tuned because I hope I meet your 300% improvement objectives. I think it is important in the learning process and I appreciate your feedback. I feel that even when I fail in some of these exercises I learn something and try to incorporate these things in the next exercise (if appropriate).

BTW: Do no know if you say another post today about "glow". I am kind of assuming you are still headed in that direction for this month's tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by dcahall View Post

BTW: Do no know if you say another post today about "glow". I am kind of assuming you are still headed in that direction for this month's tutorial.
    Yep. I'm targeting Friday, or after the weekend for a new video: "Neon and other noble gases"

-g

Just a bit of fun for a change

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	95013  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bf97f1096ad5fba2aed068fb14fbe778.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	95016

Here's another version of the simple Mexican-style house, attached.

I used a "speed drawing" style in the Official Guide's video promo, if you go to about 22 seconds in from the beginning:

on YouTube. I originally created a bitmap brush to "speed draw" the tumbleweeds, and then simplified it.

And, yeah, this probably should go back to Stygg's thread on fractal fills.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

This is my final post of the Interweaving Vines. Even if I have still missed the mark somewhat, I think I have made a ton of improvements and I have learned a lot about using various aspects of XPGD.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaraXone_Vines_update.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	95046

As always though, your comments/suggestions are welcomed.