Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Adding images to a nav bar?

THis thing that's really throwing me off is the "group" thing. I have all in this sentence except ...
    Create your button shape, apply your image, add your text and group.

Where do I do this and what do I choose? Am I right clicking and choosing my group? Am I going to "page and layer gallery" and choosing the group? Do I choose a group for each item on the menu as I add the image to it? I am adding a graphic file to each button. When I finish each one, am I suppose to choose a group of some sort and what's it called?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Each button must have text. I should have mentioned that. In order for WD to create a nav bar from the button you create, the button must have some text. I format the text center justified and center the text on the button and then group the text to the button.

When WD creates the nav bar, it automatically changes the text to the page name you created when you created the new pages. You can change the names on the buttons but editing the nav bar and changing the text in the Navigation Bar Properties menu.

So, let me take a deep breath and back up.

Copy and paste this button onto the MouseOver layer. Make your modifications to the mouse over button state.

Select both states and Apply Soft Group.

Now you can create your navigation bar.

My bad. Sorry. I should have mentioned the text part.

ok simple as possible draw a black square on mouseoff layer
    arrange >group
    draw a white square on mouseover layer
    arrange >group
    put one on top of the other
    draw around them with selector tool
    arrange apply soft group
    while squares are selected link them to #

Still getting the same error message. This is crazy. I just have 8 stupid button images to add to the nav bar but it won't allow me to remake it a nav bar after editing. I'm totally lost.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Each button must have text. I should have mentioned that. In order for WD to create a nav bar from the button you create, the button must have some text. I format the text center justified and center the text on the button and then group the text to the button.

When WD creates the nav bar, it automatically changes the text to the page name you created when you created the new pages. You can change the names on the buttons but editing the nav bar and changing the text in the Navigation Bar Properties menu.

So, let me take a deep breath and back up.

Copy and paste this button onto the MouseOver layer. Make your modifications to the mouse over button state.

Select both states and Apply Soft Group.

Now you can create your navigation bar.

My bad. Sorry. I should have mentioned the text part.

to do proper buttons put text on the shapes before you group them

Ok but when you say "ok simple as possible draw a black square on mouseoff layer " do you mean on the nav bar I created? It's already got two layters on top of each other how do I separate them? Which layer is the mouseoff layer?

Quote Originally Posted by trukkerz View Post
    ok simple as possible draw a black square on mouseoff layer
    arrange >group
    draw a white square on mouseover layer
    arrange >group
    put one on top of the other
    draw around them with selector tool
    arrange apply soft group
    while squares are selected link them to #

check out these video tutorials
    https://www.youtube.com/user/xaratemplate

Here is the nab bar I created from scratch. Below it is one of the images I want to add to the nav bar. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	94637

what i woud do is double click on the nav bar and delete all the buttons except the home button then click on the button and arrange remove soft group then u should be able to seperate the 2 layers do your changes you may have to ungroup to do that - then group each button - align them apply soft group -right click create nav bar and in nav bar put a tick in site navigation automatic

This will show you how to create your own Navbar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgsg2dUNxq0 It says for Web Designer 6 but it will work in the latest versions as well.

trnhockey - Do you want to add the photo banner image at the bottom of your screen capture? Is this what you are trying to do? And if this is correct, do you want a separate part of that image in each button?

If this is the case then you cannot do this with a nav bar. You can create a nav bar that appears over the banner image, but to have each button contain a different part of the image is doable but you will need to create each button separately.