Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Giving access to customer to make their own changes

Hi, Does Xara have a way to give access to the customer to make their own changes as far as adding and subtracting pictures? I have a customer that never gives me the items I ask for to keep their site fresh.

Thank you,
    Liann

Default Re: Giving access to customer to make their own changes

Hello Liann

I moved your post into the Xara Web Design Chat.

Xara does not provide this (CMS is what it is called). But one of our TG members has a product he developed that can do this and you can read about it in this post http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...es!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Liann View Post
    I have a customer that never gives me the items I ask for to keep their site fresh.
    If it makes you feel any better, you are most certainly not alone with this problem.

You have three options:

1. Get them a copy of xara and show them how to use it - charge for your time installing the software and training them up plus the purchase cost of xara (if you have to do it)

2. Charge them a monthly maintenance for you to make updates

3. Pay as you Go, charge them when and IF they want to make changes.

OR do a wordpress site for them (you can start with a template - there are thousands out there), create a separate login for them with restricted privileges so that they can only change text and images.

But to be honest what will happen is that they will tell you they need to make regular changes and then make perhaps one change over the next year or so, in that case I would come up with a maintenance contract allowing them to make say one change per week and change them upfront for the year - it is very rare that clients actually use content management systems. If your client is reasonable then they will go for option 3, if they are adamant that they must have a content management system like wordpress (because their friend/cousin/nephew - delete as applicable); who is a computer wizz, has told them that they must have one - then go the wordpress route.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate it.
    Lisa Ann (Liann)

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    You have three options:

1. Get them a copy of xara and show them how to use it - charge for your time installing the software and training them up plus the purchase cost of xara (if you have to do it)

2. Charge them a monthly maintenance for you to make updates

3. Pay as you Go, charge them when and IF they want to make changes.

OR do a wordpress site for them (you can start with a template - there are thousands out there), create a separate login for them with restricted privileges so that they can only change text and images.

But to be honest what will happen is that they will tell you they need to make regular changes and then make perhaps one change over the next year or so, in that case I would come up with a maintenance contract allowing them to make say one change per week and change them upfront for the year - it is very rare that clients actually use content management systems. If your client is reasonable then they will go for option 3, if they are adamant that they must have a content management system like wordpress (because their friend/cousin/nephew - delete as applicable); who is a computer wizz, has told them that they must have one - then go the wordpress route.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, you are most certainly not alone with this problem.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I generally try to get my clients to go with a pay as you go option I'll usually set up a billing schedule ahead of time. So they will send me the changes as they want/need them and I keep track of my time and Bill them either bi monthly or quarterly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.