Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: February 2013 Guest Tips and Tricks - Making Surreal Backgrounds with Xara Fracta

At first I thought the problem was that the link is in-line.

But it's the file name. The two periods, in internet language, are causing a "redirect". Xara can't "see" that it's a Xara file due to the way the net is handing off the file and its current name. So the solution here is to download the file, and then open it from your hard drive. When you click the link, do not choose to Open the file...you'll just keep getting that error message. Once you've downloaded it, you can either rename it or just open Xara and do a File>Open. From the desktop, the non-standard name is valid.

The file should be named "Xara tut,xar" but I don't have Admin privileges to fix it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redirect.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	94691

Stygg, I'll repost what I downloaded if you still can't download the file, and then open it.

Hey, we all can learn from this.

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: February 2013 Guest Tips and Tricks - Making Surreal Backgrounds with Xara Fracta

Tried re-naming and File open Gary but still can't open it, although re-naming it stopped the error message and DP7 from crashing ?

Stygg

I don't like to post someone else's post without their knowledge and consent, so please forgive me, tx200man, but all I did was rename the file.

Try the attached, stygg. It's a marvelous gift to this thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52fa22bedc857859234de51dcb4753be.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	94693

Thanks!

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Still no luck Gary, I'll have to give the tech. guys a ticket.

Stygg

Run a malware scan on your system, too, Stygg.

Once I picked up a bug that stopped my machine from downloading content from the web.

Write me privately if you need a list of the most effective AV Ware I've tried.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Run a malware scan on your system, too, Stygg.

Once I picked up a bug that stopped my machine from downloading content from the web.

Write me privately if you need a list of the most effective AV Ware I've tried.

-g
    Ran my malware and my AV, all clear. When DP7 crashes after trying to open the file Windows solution read out seems to point to a ntdll. Had a similar thing a while back, anyway I've submitted a ticket and will let you know when a solution is found as it might be useful to all. Until then business as usual.

Stygg

Sorry i never noticed the 'xa.xar' part of the file name when i posted it. Recently got new laptop with windows 8 and moments before posting was configuring the pc, one thing done was to set the file setting to show all file extensions. The original file name was 'xara tutorial projects', which i renamed on the desktop - 'xara tut.xar' before posting.

All i can think of is that i must have renamed it wrong before posting.
    I have scanned my system for virus/spyware/malware and all clear. I also replicated the error and have found that:

with the file on your pc named 'xara tut.xa.xar' XPGD will open the file with an error which states.
    'An error occurred 'File does not Exist' when opening the file
    Clicking OK - opens the file anyway. And it can be opened repeatedly from then on and without the error showing again.
    However if you rename the file to 'xara tut.xar' and now try to open it the program try's to open the original file and causes a problem.

XPGD opens the last files (projects) you had opened plus any that you are currently trying to open at that moment, it cant find my file, because i have renamed it.

Replicating what i did, i open XPGD from the menu and not by double clicking a file name.
    Then close all Opened files and close XPGD.
    Now open the renamed file (on my desktop) by double clicking the file name.
    XPGD opens as it should and without reporting errors and without further problems.

Im not sure if this is what is causing your problem but worth a shot.

Humble apologies if this problem is the result of my renaming the file ...... i will be more vigilant in future
    (hope this helps and at least its not malware or any other horrible thing)....

PS.......can a moderator delete post #35 just in case it causes others problems.
    "Your never too old to Rock and Roll" ......
    ~Ronald Belford Scott 1946-1980

Don't know why but I opened your origional post with out saving it first and changing the extension and it opened for me just fine.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Still no joy tx200man, renamed the file click on it and DP7 fails to read it then crashes, however if I use Open File in DP7 it still fails to read it but does not crash? Strange one this one, I've submitted a ticket to the tech. guys see what they can come up with. Had similar problem some time ago and that was due to a ntdll in Win.32 I will post when the problem gets resolved just in case any one else gets a similar pain in the */##

Stygg

Quote Originally Posted by tx200man View Post

Humble apologies if this problem is the result of my renaming the file ...... i will be more vigilant in future
    (hope this helps and at least its not malware or any other horrible thing)....
    Clearly it's a problem with Stygg's machine, no need to apologize, tx200man. I could delete the post but it's not necessary, and I sort of regret even bringing up malware. I only mentioned this because I had one that buggared both my download capability and messed up my video drivers. You never rule out malware when troubleshooting, and it's usually premature to judge how your system got infected. "Drive-by" malware clobbers the best of us.

-g