Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The February 2013 Giveaway of the Month - Borders and Corners: An Elegant Collect

Thanks Gare,

I Got the borders, and below is my fun with the borders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Borders.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	94612

P.S.

The Xara Xara was suppose to be Xara Xone, but I couldn't figure out how to make the Xone look like the Xara! Ah, well!

Default Re: The February 2013 Giveaway of the Month - Borders and Corners: An Elegant Collect

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    There's a very easy way to update your Certificate drawings, tx: you save out of CorelDRAW as a cmx file.
    Great Tip Gary, Thanks very much, that will make life much much easier, . . . you have saved me oodles of time, NICE ONE! . . . attached is my new certificate with a variation of your corners (complete with new site logo) ........Cheers! (thanks for the tutorial)

Name:	FAcert.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	94616

Name:	fa corner.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	94618
    "Your never too old to Rock and Roll" ......
    ~Ronald Belford Scott 1946-1980

Very nice corner peices Gary, thanks for sharing

Stygg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	94625  

You all did some handsome work with the borders, from certificates, to Stygg’s menu!

Okay, here’s the last word on certificates (because I’m afraid we’ll drift off-topic): Back in 2005, Ng Lam Heng from Singapore and I had a discussion that veered off from a discussion on a book I’d written on Photoshop. He’d created an elegant border font called “Eastern Border”and it’s very easy to find on the web, so I’m just going to include it here as an attachment out of respect for Ng Lam Heng’s work. Um, you won’t be able to use it because it lacks a PFM file, and Ng Lam Heng is a Macintosh user so he saw no need to make the necessary file.
    The short of it is that I became involved in coding the font, and our agreement was that I could offer the font if I pleased to anyone. Additionally, some of the outlines are PostScript invalid, so I corrected them. My version is called “Eastern Borders Revised” and I’m sharing it here because Ng Lam Heng did a lot of work for the benefit of fellow artists. Oh, and by the way, the readme file has a thing about the font costing $15, which is fine for his version, but my rework is free, okay. Besides, he’s no longer at the address and this wonderful font might be lost in the annals of time and the breadth of the internet were I not to step in here!

To use the font, you’d best get a character map util such as Better Character Map, but if you want to dive right in making certificates, the characters are arranged like this: A is the left corner, B is the border, and C is the right corner. DEF, and so on access the different styles of borders. So what I did in this illustration (the file is attached, all text has been converted to curves) was Type A BBBBB C, and then flipped a copy to make the bottom. Then I shortened the text string and rotated it 90 degrees to get the side(s).

Name:	c305ab7e4150e0ebfbefdfaab1a40a1c.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	94631

It’s fun stuff and I wish there was a better way to acknowledge Ng Lam Heng’s work!
    Attached Files Attached Files

That is a very nice font, Gare. Thanks so much!