Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opening a photo widget from thumbnail

What is the procedure being used on the xara web pack 2 page that allows the widgets to be opened from a thumbnail? While xara allows me to use the photo pop up dialog, I am getting no popup or am I trying the impossible?

Default Re: Opening a photo widget from thumbnail

Generally with the widgets you either drag and drop them on the page or double click on the icon in the Designs Gallery.

Then double click on the placeholder on your page to open the edit window.

I have not installed Web Pack 2. I will as soon as I get my copy.

That is what throws me. I assumed what was on the demo page was the way the widget worked. However, the widget(s) are simply full sized when you drag them onto the page. It's as if the widget is on a popup layer, but it behaves as a popup photo on the demo page.

I'm still waiting for my copy so I can see how these work. Xara have gone home for the night, I shall have to wait until tomorrow morning.

OK. A small thumbnail links to a pop up layer containing the widget. See attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

@Zumwalt:
    There are no special tricks or popups on the page you link to: http://www.xara.com/us/products/web-pack-2/
    They are simply small resolution screenshots of the widget which Xara link to another page (showing the widget) via a straight forward link.
    In other words, you would create a thumbnail image on your mouseoff layer which links to another page containing your slideshow widget. That simple.
    (While Xara do not use web designer for their web-pack-2 page, they have use the same link process)

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    OK. A small thumbnail links to a pop up layer containing the widget
    Actually, it doesn't.
    You're file shows an embedded <iframe on a layer which points to a remote URL that has the results of an exported widget.

Code:
    <iframe src="http://webdesigner.xara.com/webpack2/mosaic_fade/" width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" name="xara_iframe" ><p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p></iframe>
    Neither does your .xar contain any of the required widget files ;

<script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/jquery.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/datamap.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/mosiac_fade_conf.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/mosaic.1.0.1.min.js"></script>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="index_htm_files/mosaic.css"/>

In other words, this is not a widget in a layer at all. It's a placeholder with an iframe, doable in any version of Web Designer and not requiring any webpacks at all.

As I read it, I believe the OP wants the actuall widget on a popup layer to open from a thumbnail link.
    I don't think this is possible, I can find out why and post back.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 15 February 2013 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks for the input. I assumed the behavior on the Xara page was that of the widget. I liked the effect of clicking on the thumbnail, opening the widget in a light box and being able to execute it within the light box.

tom

Hi Tom,

You made me look again as I saw no lightbox effect at all.
    The lightbox seems only to be there in IE and FF. Chrome, Safari and Comodo Dragon simply open the widget in a new page/tab.
    However, this light box is not a function of the widget, the xara web guys have used highslide html but as I've seen, does not appear to be cross browser compatible (even with all extensions disabled in normal mode or using incognito mode!)
    In spite of this, the highlside lightbox isn't a layer and neither is that page created in Xara Designer..
    As mentioned earlier, I'll try to find out if there's a way to add a js widget to a layer, I don't think so - but I'll investigate.

Actually, it doesn't.
    You're [sic] file shows an embedded <iframe on a layer which points to a remote URL that has the results of an exported widget.
    My file came from Xara. But now that I try placing the widget on a new layer and linking a thumbnail image to it, I see that it does not work.

OK

I think what Xara might have been suggesting then is to place the widget on a new page the same size as the widget, then use an iframe in a placeholder on a popup layer to load the 'widget page'..
    This works fine.

Example attached
    Attached Files Attached Files