Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flow chart/family tree clipart

My grandson just called and said that he needed help with a chart for his immediate family tree. Just as far back as his grandparents. This chart is going to be incorporated into a powerpoint presentation. I searched on the internet earlier today and found dozens of charts. I downloaded two but in the process picked up 4 trojan viruses. After hours of trying to clean up this mess, I finally just did a restore and I think I have solved my problem. Now, however, I am reluctant to try it again. So my question is: Do any of you have something like this that you are willing to share? I know I can draw boxes and lines but this is for my grandson and I would like to impress him.

Thanks,

Bob

Default Re: Flow chart/family tree clipart

Ouch!

Most templates that are free can be problematical. Usually if something is for sale, it's going to be safer to download.

Check out Shutterstock http://www.shutterstock.com/ They are very reasonable and have a variety of stock photos and vector objects and templates.

And, make sure you keep your virus protection software updated.

What about creating something in Xara?

It would be really easy to create a shape (i.e., rectangle, ellipse[the choice is endless]), making duplicates and filling the shape with a picture of each of the family members, and adding the text. Something like this . . . . Attachment 94536

You could really get creative with the picture frame styles.

Create as many "frames" as you need, place them where you want, save the whole chart as a jpg and import into PowerPoint.

In my experience even with grid turned on it is hard labour doing it in Xara although it can be done. If it was me doing it with the info required to be imputed, birth, occupation, death and the like I would use Excel and there must be scripts kicking about to do it nearly automatically: http://www.ehow.com/how_4895139_make...ree-excel.html
    Design is thinking made visual.

And if you google it, you will find some free online Family tree makers, try them and import the finished JPG or PDF in XDP, then you can add some more effects or another colors as you wish. Hope that help you more.
    http://www.familyecho.com/
    Best regards
    BP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family tree.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	94537  
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

You have according to your profile Designer Pro 7 at least. I think this is being overthought, I'm guessing this is a child's school project right? As it's only going back to 3 generations it should be quite simple. Have your grandson draw a tree

In my attached example I used the freehand tool with a dab profile and a large stroke weight. 2 downward strokes in opposite directions for the roots (this is where the grandparents go) then build up the trunk. 2 main branches split off the trunk (one for each parent) then add a sub branch for each child in the family. Once the main tree is done select all the lines and go to the arrange menu and select convert line to shape then with your now shapes still selected use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+1 to combine them into a single shape. I added some leaves and ellipses for the names and or pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftftg.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	94544  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Yes angelize, I love your example.

That was sort of what I was trying to say, only I didn't dare try to draw a tree! I just bought Xara Designer Pro myself and have so much too learn (and practice).

I love the way you put the Grandparents at the roots, and on up to the children at the top. Most of the examples I have seen (ie on the web) show the Grandparents at the top and then filter down.

I love the way you put the Grandparents at the roots, and on up to the children at the top.

I don't think that's the case - the grandparents are at the top. It's an inverted tree of descendants.

You could invert it to put the grandparents at the bottom to mimic the the tree, but that goes against most people's expectation.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Actually if you do a google image search for family tree you will find trees done both ways, and I think either way is fine
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Either way is fine, but mostly I see ancestors at the top when people discuss their family tree. Depends whether you want an ascendent or descendant tree.

Ascendant trees (tree goes upwards) put the emphasis on the descendant - great for a class project, Descendant trees (inverted tree) emphasises the ancestors.