Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Line/Shape Conversions

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Make Selection Editable.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	94485
    Are two conversion choices in the Arrange menu necessary? Have you ever mistakenly tried to convert a line into an editable shape using “Convert to Editable Shape”?
    The Status Line in lower, left corner of the Xara screen identifies when a line is selected versus when a predefined object such as a circle or rectangle is selected.
    With that in mind, my suggestion is to consolidate, “Convert Line to Shape” and “Convert to Editable Shapes” in Arrange menu into one item, “Make Selection Editable” and let the software identify the selection and compute how to make the correct conversion.
    The only feature currently available that would be lost is when a predefined object that has an outline is converted using the “Convert Line to Shape” function. This combination deletes the fill and leaves an editable outline. But I think this usage would be rare.

Default Re: Line/Shape Conversions

Personally I think you have answered your own question.
    In my view both options are important.

Yes, both types of conversions are important, but that wasn't the intent of my question. Since the software can identify what type of entity is selected, it seems to me it should also be able to identify which type of conversion was necessary to covert the object into an editable shape. That would simplify the Arrange menu to just one item, “Make Selection Editable”. No biggie, but each little improvement makes it possible to work smarter, not harder.

At first I was going to argue that each option fulfills a very different function, and that I use them for different things. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I couldn't think of a situation where merging these two options would produce unwanted results, so +1. However, it's entirely possible that someone else will be able to suggest a situation where they would want two separate options.

So the logic is:

1. If it's a specialized shape (circle, rectangle, quickshape, text), and:
    1.A. If it's not filled, Convert Line to Shape. Otherwise:
    1.B. Convert to Editable Shape.
    2. If it's a closed path, and
    2.A. If it's not filled, Convert Line to Shape. Otherwise:
    2.B. Do nothing. It's already editable.
    3. If it's an open path, Convert Line to Shape.

Someone check and see if I've left anything out.

-- Ben
    Last edited by ad1066; 13 February 2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Formatting
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com