Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text messes up on mobile.

Xara Designer Pro X

Building a site for a client but when you look at the "Reviews" page on a mobile phone, the text is all jacked up.

It is uploaded to www.scottysweb.net . (this is a domain we use to test the site and let customers see how its coming along as we build it. )

On a different issue. Whenever I open Xara, the text on whatever site I am working on is moved. I fix it all back then save and close, and whenever I come back and reopen, the text is all moved again.

Really frustrating.

Default Re: Text messes up on mobile.

I've taken a look at the site on a MacBook using FireFox and also on an iPhone using Safari and there is no difference that I can see.

On the MacBook, I can say that the text is very small and dense - I'd consider looking at that to have copy that is less dense.

As a mobile site, it's poor - too much to view comfortably on a mobile and a prime example of why sites designed for a desktop aren't suitable for the mobile platform. You should consider a stripped-down design specifically for mobile use.

Yes, it's not a suitable site for a mobile device..
    I agree with Paul - create something suitable for small screens.
    While it looks mostly ok on an android device, the review page text does escape the boxes.
    Try using the HTMLBlockText name for your text areas.
    (Are you using text areas? Or just typing on the page and then hitting return for a new line?)

I agree with Paul. This is fine for a normal website but way to complex for a mobile user.

Is there any way you can simplify the site for the small view port of a mobile device? This really cries out for a specially designed mobile site. And in as much as it is a new design, you need to bill your client for a separate site.

I'd also suggest publishing clients "in-progress" designs to a sub-directory named after them. That way you can have several works-in-progress. For example, www.scottysweb.net/clients/ollies/

Check out your site on a couple of mobile site testers:

http://validator.w3.org/mobile/

http://mobiready.com/

This should give you a idea.

Also the roll-overs on your site aren't functioning very well, they only trigger above the text, not half way down the text or below the text.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I have been trying to figure out the same thing. I have a web site that looks good on the computer (http://thetimetwins.com), and I have designed one to go on mobile devices, specifically tablets. I don't know how to have that one show up there? any ideas?
    In other words, how do I have the correct one show up on the correct platform?
    Thanks

dben - There's a script you can use to redirect that is explained in this post http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...991#post452991

This script will redirect the visitor to a folder named mobile in the root of your host server. Create the dir, copy your mobile site there, add this code somewhere in the body of your main home landing page, and it should redirect to the files in /mobile dir.

Code:
    <script type='text/javascript'>
    <!--

if (document.cookie.match(/(^|;)\s*is_mobile=1/)) {
    	document.write(
    		"&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;" +
    		"<a href='?mobile'>Mobile Site</a>"
    	);
    }

//-->
    </script>