Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Fashion Photographer in Perth

I made a website for a photographer who manages updates etc on the site. After making the last round of changes he noticed that the site no longer has a smooth transition on the gallery pages. I thought initially that it may have been the differing lengths in the pages, but two of the pages are similar in length. Is there something that I can do that will return the pages to how they were when I did the site for him? I actually dont think it is too big a deal (I doubt a visitor would even notice) but being a photographer with an eye for detail, it is bugging him big time. Any suggestions? Thanks in anticipation of your help. Abi
    www.photographerinperth.com
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

Default Re: Fashion Photographer in Perth

Well done Abi. I'm not nuts about the photography but the design is very clean and accessible.

Some of the models relate directly to this Guardian article http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-thinspiration

Thanks Gary. That article is alarming. The photographer had photos of models much thinner than the girls on this site. They were like sticks. He didnt put them up as they are yet to be published in a magazine, but he will put them up once that has happened. They looked like praying mantis in high heels.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

Abi, what is the actual problem?

67 requests ❘ 935.47KB transferred ❘ 13.29s (onload: 7.63s, DOMContentLoaded: 2.21s)

For me, the page starts to show just on 2 seconds and then takes another 11 seconds to fully load.
    So your preview images are of the order of 1MB, implying that your gallery pictures will be much larger, else why have a gallery?

You can work on the source and optimise all the pictures on the site so they render at 96 dpi.
    You can spend money and use CloudFlare to compress and cache your site across several domains so things load faster.
    You can use JavaScript to preload the gallery photos on the off chance the viewer will want to stay on that gallery for all the images.
    You can split your pages or place images on layers and avoid the gallery approach and use more text to hold people's attention so they don'y notice the delays.

The more you poke into a page, the slower and more jerky it will behave.

Acorn

Hi Acorn. Thanks for your response. The problem is actually not the loading of the site. The site actually loads very quickly despite the fact that I have not optimised the images. Being a photographer's site he wanted the images to be in the resolution he gave to me. I think you may have visited the site when I was uploading some changes about 10 minutes ago. The site actually loads very quickly on all the computers I have tested it on. The problem is not the loading but in the transitioning from one page to the other, but I think that I have sorted that just now (which is why I was uploading). It actually was a page size thing. The gallery page was slightly smaller than all the other pages so I just lengthened it a tidge and it seems to be okay now.

When you export the site, the images are automatically reduced to 96dpi. You can always go back in and replace and rename the exported images with the actual full resolution images, but it seems a bit over the top, unless the photographer wants people do download the images. Also, if the photographer uses the actual resolution images, the images can be downloaded and used for print by unscrupulous persons.

You could publish a page for the photographer to review with pairs of images at 96dpi and full resolution to demonstrate that there is no visual difference.

I really like the site, a very bold move to use a minimalist approach. The only thing I would change is introduce yet more white space, for instance on the footer line the phone number seems out of place, you could put it on it's own line and it would look even better. And on the mouseover for the buttons have a plain grey as opposed to the gradient. Apart from that the site is very good, the type of site I like but find clients are against it.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk