Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default a la Lichtenstein

As a long-term aficionado of the work of Roy Lichtenstein, I suppose it was only a matter of time before I would use the Phantasm Plugin for Illustrator to make something in a similar vein. This two colour design employs Phantasm's halftone dots to create folds in material. I'm knocked out that just straight dotted lines can create a texture that seems to have depth to it.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halftone.png 
Views:	1187 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	94424  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Default Re: a la Lichtenstein

Cab you use the Gradient Mesh or Warp Tool after using the plugin if it was masked to make it look like a curtain being opened? If you could that would make that effect easy. You could also use the plugin for comic style shading which would also be quick.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Default Re: a la Lichtenstein

This is what a halftone screen does in the printing process. Because CMYK printing presses are not capable of continuous tone printing, a photographic image (or any color image) is separated into the three primary colors plus black, and a one color halftone screen of is created for each color. The screen varies the size of the dots depending on the density of the color. The screens are used to create a separate plate for C, M, Y, and K. But you knew that to begin with I am sure.
    IP