Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Help! Xara Designer Pro - cant open! (Not even after a full re-install and PC reb

Quote Originally Posted by jon404 View Post
    thanks very much for your help. Is this the only one that opens up the chat line to Xara/Magix?
    well.. the program will check automatically for program updates... but it will ask first before installing those.... and it has never cause me any flounce
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Help! Xara Designer Pro - cant open! (Not even after a full re-install and PC reb

Re "over-reacting" although I confess up front that I have only time to skim read this thread, but if Xara crippled my Xara Designer Pro X (version 8.1) *deliberately* then I am spitting with rage.

My Xara Designer was out of action for at least 10 minutes on a fast modern PC with a good internet connection and I couldn't afford to risk waiting any longer, because I was in mission-critical rush. i.e. I couldnt afford to take that chance that it was NEVER going to come back to life so I wasted a further 30-45 minutes whilst tried it on different PCs, reinstalled Xara, rebooted, failed again, googled for users with similar problems, complained on this forum, waited for a response, killed off all trace of the previous installation, re-installed Xara again, and this delay under the blazing gaze of our CEO nearly cost me my job.

Still call me "over-reacting" ?

OP

if, and it's still an assumption on my part, the program will not load until the update has completed ok that is just daft - sorry for those who think that is over-reacting but such a situation is a blatent 'hostage to fortune' senario that should have been foreseen - at the very least the progaram should load regardless and a message come up if the update fails...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ok, I see the points of view of those 'held hostage'. I do agree that the program should load and allow you to work regardless of whether it can 'call home'.

I use the software in a hobbyist/do webpages for my wife/my religion so I don't have a boss sitting over me with a deadline....all I get is dirty looks when it doesn't go right or takes too long. I can see there should be a better solution for this feature if Xara wishes to be in the professional arena.

I also agree it should be the user's choice on the program for when to call home, the program should not 'hang up' and leave one out to dry for extended periods.....so, sorry if I called those senarios 'over-reacting'.

Clearly, those are not. If your job relies on your software working well in all ways then this needs to be fixed. Has anyone put this in the 'Dear Xara' thread? or brought this thread to Xara's attention? It seems to me to be noteworthy enough for that.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Not being able to contact the update server should never prevent Xara Designer etc opening at all, just a delay until the action times out.
    The software will work without an internet connection, so if you find this happening to you again, shiphen - disable your connection to the web, open the program and once loaded re enable your connection.

thanks for that steve [I guess you should know ] - as long as my freeze is cured I'm happy enough - a screen refresh delay is one thing, no mouse or keyboard another altogether
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Karateed View Post

I also agree it should be the user's choice on the program for when to call home, the program should not 'hang up' and leave one out to dry for extended periods.....so, sorry if I called those senarios 'over-reacting'.
    Hi Ed

it's a point of principle with me - no problem - I hope shiphen gets it sorted out [if he sticks with xara that is....]
    Nothing lasts forever...

No problem here either HD....I just wasn't quite seeing all the perspectives before...read carefully, thought about it and agree with a lot of the posts in this thread.....
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

@ Jon - there is a program called MagixOfa.exe in the online folder of XDPX program folder, I believe that it is named for 'Magix foto album' and is a 'helper' file and there are also some dll files including a flickr and a facebook which sort of points to what it's probably for - if I block this in the firewall as well as Designer Pro then the crashes I mentioned earlier stop happening, so I can now take the preferred option of blocking in the firewall without hassle, rather than registry hack
    [edit - firewalls - as they are different on the two computers and it crashed with both, eset and panda]

@Ed
    Nothing lasts forever...

Using xara X pro on my Win7 PC it gets stuck saying "97% Adding colour to document..." every time I restard my PC.
    I just want to let you know my solution : I simply unplug network (RJ-45) cable, then Xara starts after a few seconds.
    Then replug RJ45.
    No need to set complicated firewall option or registry editing.
    Have a good day.