Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default More favicon woes

I've read and followed several different threads in trying to put this chapter behind me. Obviously, I'm still searching....

I have the image named "favicon"; I have converted it to icon format. Now, at the risk of appearing wholly stupid, where do I put it?

Thanks.

Default Re: More favicon woes

No need to convert it to icon format, Xara Designer does this automatically on export.

The only thing you have to do is name the object favicon, the export filter does the rest.

I make my favicons about 64 pixels square which is small enough to get an idea how much will actually work. The favicon itself is about 16 pixels square.

Xara converts your named art (I don't think you need the quote marks on favicon when you name it) to a favicon automatically.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys, but I guess I'm just not grasping the concept. I've exported it and named it appropriately. It's in the directory where my site files are located. (I'm reworking the site now more conventionally using PGD. Initially, I converted the pages over from another editor but each is a separate page--.htm file--not an "all-inclusive" PGD website file, if that makes sense.)

Anyway, I'm just not getting what to do with the favicon file for it to appear in the browser tab. Is there somewhere in "Web Properties" that I reference it? My understanding as far as hard-coding it into the HTML is that it goes somewhere in the <head></head> section of the page. How do I access that thru PGD?

Sorry to be so thick-skulled!

hi I think you are missing the simplicity of this - xara does everything after you have designed your favicon

1 design your graphic lets say a square with a W inside it - select the box & text together and group it
    2 select the group and click the name icon (looks like parcel tag) type favicon and then click add then close
    3 position the graphic at the side of your website on the background
    4 publish your site

that should do it

cheerz

Are you working in Photo and Graphic Designer? Your profile still shows Webstyle.

Create your image that you want to use for your favicon. Apply the name. And move it off the page onto the pasteboard.

When you publish your site, Xara also creates a 16 x 16 pixel favicon.ico graphic which I think it places in the root directory of your website.

The web browser, if it finds a favicon.ico file automatically displays the image in the browser tab (as with the TG logo here) and also next to your site if someone bookmarks the site.

All you have to do is create your graphic, name it, and forget it.

Yes, please update your profile to show which Xara software and version you are using, otherwise we're wasting your time when we respond with answers relative to the recent versions.

I figured I hadto be over-thinking it somehow. When I run into something like this with a tool like P&GD, that is so all-encompassing, I cannot see the simple solution. I automatically figure it has to be something far more complex. The trials of growing old...

Thanks so much for your help, for being patient and, most of all, for not making me feel even more like a doofus than I do already!

My gosh! I haven't given even a moment's thought about my profile!! Can't even remember when I was using Webstyle....

Will update that right now.

Thanks again, all of you!

Glad to help, doofus.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Glad to help, doofus.