Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can anyone help?

Hello,
    Just wondered if anyone can help in my quest to finding out how to add images to the empty space either side of our School Website pages.
    Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining what I'm trying to achieve.
    This website, www .aria.co.uk has windows 8 either side of it's pages, there is probably a name to this technique but as I have no idea what it is, I can't do a search to find out how it is done.
    Can anyone help me? thanks in advance,
    Grant.
    Last edited by Drwyd; 25 January 2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Link neutered - Please see forum rules

Default Re: Can anyone help?

pc-rowan, the Site you mention has set up floating DIVs after its main content that would be tricky but not impossible to achieve with Placeholders and some modest HTML code.

You could achieve something more easily in Xara by designing your school site to have three adjacent areas (Note: all would be fixed width) by:

1. Drag & Drop to different colours onto your main page area (the Page background) and the Pasteboard background (Page & Layer Gallery).
    2. Clear the Web Properties > Website > Other >> Clip to page edges.
    3. Create two bounding boxes, the height of your Page with the same colour as the Pasteboard background, with no Line Width and ensure they just touch the left & right Page edges.
    4. Place all your images on top of and inside these two bounding boxes.

Remember too wide a viewport to render your Site is not the best initial impression for a visitor.

Acorn

I see no floating anything in any browser at the URL posted by the OP, perhaps due to my IP not being a UK one?

So, reading between the lines is this something like what you want?

http://xara-users.info/demos/left-ri...e-tabs-example

Tweaks available from the forum

if you reduce your viewing to about 75% in chrome you will see what he means - basically its images on the background

cheerz

I see nothing but a light grey background at any viewport size in any browser here. AD-BLOCK on or off.

just looked again and your right - they have removed the images - there were images like the windows 8 metro desktop that you could click on (on the grey background)that took you to a windows 8 page -and that what the op wanted to do

cheerz

Thank you all for your replies! Much appreciated.
    I have noticed a few websites that have done this with images running down the sides of the pages and I just thought it a good idea to fill the empty spaces with images of the children playing, just to brighten things up a bit.
    Unfortunately, I'm not very competent at building websites, adding videos and a bit of code is about as adventurous as I have got at the moment. I was hoping it might be something simple and don't want to mess it up, so I think I will leave well alone for now. Thanks again though for your input.

Grant.

I just thought it a good idea to fill the empty spaces with images ..

I haven't seen your site, but I do wonder if you realise that the empty spaces on either side of a website designed with Xara, aren't the same on everyone's browser, so you may see empty space, but someone else might not (I can't tell - I think the link removal may be over-zealous in this case). If you have designed a site that fits (say) a 960 pixel size, I would leave the space at the side well alone. The available space for viewing the site is going to vary from one computer to the next.

I wish I could see the actual site in question. It might be an idea to use a trick with a repeated background image, with a narrow column of images, perhaps two images wide, as a repeated background fill.

this is the site he is on about but they have removed the side images now - a bit of bad timing i suppose :-)

http://www.aria.co.uk/

Thanks for the link - I thought perhaps we would see the school link.