Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs down WebStyle 4 - A Lesson in History

Hi All

I realise my chances are slim, but I need some advice regarding WS4. I realise it's an old release of software, but I have need of its capabilities.

Originally it was installed on an XP machine that recently died. I have now reinstalled WS4 on a Win7 64 bit machine and it all seems to work OK. My question is about my old projects. Sensibly I backed up all the project folders onto an external hard disk. So feeling rather smug with myself I then copied the project folders into the folder structure (WSTemplates) of my freshly installed version on my new machine.

SHOCK! I open up WS4 and looked clicked on 'projects'. when the page opened, I could see the project folders, but some of them contained the individual buttons and banners whilst others were completely empty. Can any one tell me where I went wrong?

Thanks

Steve

Default Re: WebStyle 4 - A Lesson in History

I have never used WS - but as a general principle if you are running something as old as this on win7 then you need to consider:

1] installing and running it in compatability mode for XP
    2]installing as administrator
    3] running it as administrator

problems can arise with the later windows UAC [user account control] that can block access to certain things

that said, if this is just a 'haphazard' issue, it maybe that the data is not there in the first place? - so that should be checked

at the very least you can right-click and run as administrator and that should fix any registry issues - if it does you should not need to do it again

sorry I can't be of more help....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, good call about the 'Administrator' option. I also checked the actual project folders and some only have ONE file in them - an .xws Do you know if that's where the 'data' is held (some of my project folders seems to have more of these in than others!

Thanks

Steve

I really don't have a feel for how it works, like I say I have never used it

Hopefully someone else can help...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Cheers Sledger!

Steve

cheers steve [three Steves ]
    Nothing lasts forever...