Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question How to disable "edit inside" feature?

Hi

I'm not very fond of the "edit inside" feature, and I'd really prefer the older method, where double-clicking simply got you deeper within the group and activated the appropriate tool. "Edit inside" is particularly unpractical if you are trying to edit grouped text, and unnecessarily slows you down when you double click with a select tool. In older versions of Xara, it would allow you to directly edit the text within, and now it forces you to either first choose the text tool, or edit the text inside the new tab, both of which are slower than the original way.

So, Is there any way I can bring back the old method / turn off the "edit inside" feature? Maybe a registry value?

Thanks

Default Re: How to disable "edit inside" feature?

Hold ctrl and then select the object inside the group.
    This will select the object but then you will have to choose the appropriate tool..

There is a key you can use to disable Edit Inside:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro\8.1\Opti ons\EditInside

Change value to '1'

No responsibility taken if things go wonky though

THATS IT!

Thank you so much!!

BTW, i would like to suggest that this be optional in preferences in next version. I doubt I'm the only one preferring this old method. Thanks again!

I would also prefer it, if there was an option to turn this feature on and off.
    Most of the time, I would have it 'off'.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

How about a ctrl+doubleclick for "Edit inside", and regular doubleclick for the old method?

Ctrl+doubleclick doesn't do anything anyway, and in many web browsers control+click opens up a link in a new tab, so this way it would be somewhat similar

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I've actually gotten used to the edit inside and use it often. I'd like to see this feature enhanced. There was a discussion once in the Dear Xara forum about how useful it would be if you could see the entire drawing in the edit inside window but only the objects inside the group you are editing would be selectable and editable.

I don't mind the idea of having a choice, but I'd prefer to see the Ctrl +double click for the old method and leave the double click for the edit inside method
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

... or that, yes. But I still think ctrl+doubleclick would make more sense for edit inside, as this action is more drastic (opens up in another tab) rather than editing in place. Let there be an option to choose between what ctrl+doubleclick does, and everyone happy

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

If it could be changed in the Shortcuts utility would be great, but AFAIK it can't be done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.