Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default TypeTool EPS file compatibility?

I'm just getting into font design. The graphics program I use and know best is PaintShop Pro. I've been trialing a few lower-end programs, and TypeTool seems to be the best. But none of them have the complete vector drawing capabilities that I am comfortable working with. Workflow is a very big deal for me because I have hand problems and I need to streamline everything as much as possible. I'm thinking that maybe the best solution is to do the drawing in another program and copy and paste or import to TypeTool.

The problem is that TypeTool will import and export only EPS files. PaintShop Pro does not really support that format. I wanted to know if anyone here can tell me whether an EPS file drawn in any of the Xara programs can be easily used by TypeTool. I don't own any Xara programs at the moment, but I'd be willing to get one of the less expensive ones if it provided this capability, assuming I liked the vector drawing tools.

Can anyone give me any idea whether that would work? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Default Re: TypeTool EPS file compatibility?

Welcome to TG Ellen.
    I looked at TypeTool and it looks liked it can. XDPX, and XPGD 6 can export EPS with a .ai extension. and TypeTool can open an ai file but I do not have TypeTool so cannot test it to answer your question. You could download one of the trial versions of Xara an test it to see if exporting a .ai EPS file and would work in TypeTool that is if you already own TypeTool.

http://www.xara.com/us/downloads/designer/

I'm sure someone that knows the answer will come along shortly.
    Magix was giving away Xara Photo and Graphics 6 free but that no longer seems to be the case, at least I couldn't find it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

As it happens, I was browsing around Amazon and I found XPG6 for $15. I figured I couldn't go wrong buying it at that price, so I grabbed it. Then today I've been wondering if it could possibly be a counterfeit at such a low price – I know that sort of thing happens with Illustrator – and if I would be risking my computer to install it. But hearing that they were giving it away, I guess that's pretty reassuring as far as those worries go?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Ellen it could still be bogus so be wary. Only get it from a legit dealer or download from xara (the developers) or Magix (the German company which now owns Xara). Personally I think you should get a trial from xara.com and try it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I got it through Amazon from ERSO Media GmbH, a German (or Austrian?) company that seems to specialize in Magix software. They seem legit, and their rating is high. I don't know . . .

Anyway, I found this thread: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...port-to-AI-EPS . The poster had the same concern, and it turned out that only an old version (XXP3) could create compatible EPS files. He talks about downloading XXP3 (post #3).

So perhaps I should try that. Would this be the right place to download XXP3?: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...w-3-2-2-update ?

Is there any red tape with downloading and installing a very old version like this? I know that Corel lets you install old versions of PaintShop Pro.

Thanks,
    Ellen

Hi Ellen,

Welcome to TalkGraphics.

If you have any questions about the genuineness of your software you should click on the Contact US link in the bottom left corner of this page. Tell them your details and they will be able to set your mind at ease one way or the other. They can also answer any questions you might have about obtaining older versions of Xara software. The Xara folks are nice, and they are helpful so don't hesitate to contact them.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com