Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Acrobat Toolbar missing

I am attempting to display a PDF using two methods.

1. Using a button to display a PDF in a new window or
    2. In an iframe.

Both are working, to a point.
    When I check in different browsers & versions on various computers the toolbar (or the floating toolbar depending on the version) is sometimes displayed, sometimes not.

Anybody got any ideas please?
    td

Default Re: Acrobat Toolbar missing

Found part of the answer.
    Adobe have changed the toolbar & it may or may not be displayed (don't know why). BUT, if it is not displayed type F8 key. If you have displayed it in an iframe click anywhere in the document & type F8.
    All that is needed now is how to preset the display. Are there any parameters you can use?
    td

Adobe reader display settings are user dependent. You can only change the settings for the version installed on your own PC.
    Also note that not everyone will have Adobe PDF reader installed (I use Foxit for example) and Google Chrome has it's own PDF reader built in.
    In other words, you can't control how visitors to your site will view PDFs.

some of us if at all possible download pdfs and view them locally....

the chrome plugin is a bit iffy in my experience, but then they all have their quirks...

"Adobe reader display settings are user dependent." AND "some of us if at all possible download pdfs and view them locally" Thanks for your replies.

Yes. But the toolbar and Navbar seem to be predominantly missing. The target audience would mostly not know how to turn the toolbar on/off. (F8) The PDFs being displayed are intended for download & printing but if the user cannot see those options it makes it difficult and Adobe doesn't make it easy with their changes.

I found a listing of parameters HERE (Alternatively try THIS. This link uses a command parameter to auto open at page 5) and they seem to work with Acrobat & Chrome. Like SLedger I use a third party reader CutePDF Pro. I haven't tried Foxit. It appears that the third parties may also be implementing the parameters(???) I have also gone & tried the pages successfully on a few other peoples' computers. It is planned to try as many as possible in the next two weeks

A few selected parameters are:

page=pagenum
    toolbar=0 or 1
    zoom=percentage

Add the parameters after the URL starting with a hash

Here is the code I used in the HTML Code (body) of a placeholder:

<iframe src="forms/enrolPDF.pdf#zoom=75&navpanes=0&toolbar=1&view=fit 1FP" width="100%" height="1070"> </iframe>

And you can view the page(s) here. If it does not display correctly I would appreciate any comments before it gets installed on their server (due Feb).
    Hope I am not on the wrong track.
    Thanks
    td

This link uses a command parameter to auto open at page 5) and they seem to work with Acrobat & Chrome.
    Not here.

As mentioned. You have no reliable control over how visitors see your PDFs.

For example, in Chrome, the built-in PDF viewer will render the file in the iframe and will be under Chrome's control, not any Adobe viewer.
    In other browsers it will download to the users HDD if they don't have their browser set to use the Adobe plugin.
    And others like myself who chose not to use Adobe, will view the PDF in their default view (eg: Foxit)

THis is how FOXIT displays the download PDF (FF browser shows nothing in the iframe because it is set to download PDF files)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdf.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	94026

This is how Chrome's built in PDF viewer handles it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrome.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	94025

in my firefox, because there is no pdf plugin enabled I get a choice of either download the pdf file or open it locally in my default pdf program which is acrobat [itself - not the reader], but I could set to any program I want that can open pdf, including xara designer pro if I so chose...