Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harley

People have asked for a higer resolution view of the Harley so here it is.....sorry for the file size but I drew it very large to see just how close I could get to photorealism with the new Xara X. It's a fantastic program just got better!!!

cheers Paul Shotan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harley_hi-res.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	5636  

People have asked for a higer resolution view of the Harley so here it is.....sorry for the file size but I drew it very large to see just how close I could get to photorealism with the new Xara X. It's a fantastic program just got better!!!

cheers Paul Shotan

paul,
    that is absolutely superb, and you have achieved what you set out to do, i reckon in would print our beautifully on glossy media, 10 out of 10

check you e-mail
    cheers eric [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Paul, to say it's nice is to say the least! I do believe, though, that we could appreciate it even more if you lessened the intense black bakgd. I know it gives it an elegance to it but I think the ol'eyeballs mix it with the elements. Maybe even letting it stand alone. Just an idea...BEAUTIFUL!
    Keep 'em coming...

woooooohmmmmmm...pow!- BClegg

(Have to talk to Gary to get some vitual sound on this forum)
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Hi Paul,

Said it before, and I'll say it again and frankly don't give a toss about those people that disagree - that is a stunningly beautiful piece of work - seen a lot of your stuff but that's definitely one of the best!

Keep 'em coming.

--
    Big Frank was
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

In fact, I think the black background makes the bike more luminous and luscious, if a Harley can be described as luscious.

I received a catalog from Butterfields, one of the biggest US auction houses. On the same page they had a 1976 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow and a 1968 Harley FLHE with sidecar. The Rolls was estimated at $10-15,000 US. The Harley was estimated at $25-30,000 US.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

Well the fact is that I cannot pull the bike off the black background....it would fall to pieces! The reference shot I worked from was on a dark backdrop and there was no componemt detail to be seen in the shadows so I just rendered the highlights that you see without any underlying form. If I'd had some other cross refences I maybe could have filled in the hidden detail but that wasn't available. If I had, it would no doubt also have doubled the number of objects (1343 already)and the drawing time (frighteningly long!). I do however of course have the option to play around with the paint job by editing the red used as a "shade of another colour" another exquisite Xara feature! I personally like the mood and lushness of tone that the backdrop creates and it amazes me just how much the brain infills for the missing or merely suggested forms
    in the shadows.It's a personal choice in the end I suppose. cheers, Paul

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Great Paul. At this larger size it is even more impressive. Would make a great poster!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

As Ross said - it is even better in big format!

Is it possible to post in xara web. format in these forums? It would be great to be able to zoom around and get lost in all the details, in images like these.

Risto

Hi Risto,

I can only speak for myself when I say that I am quite loath to post illustrations on here in xar format - drawings that have taken eons to create only to be ripped off and passed off by some sad wannabe as his own work.

It's a sad fact of life that as this is a public forum there's no way to prevent this from happening.

Call me Big Paranoid Frank if you like... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

--
    Big Frank was
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.