Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Website Design - Photo Format and Alignment

Hi,

I am redesigning our website [link removed by moderator] by inserting photos in the sub-pages.

What is the best photo format that I could use to have better resolution and quality for the photos? I converted the photos to JPEG and PNG using Photoshop. If i increase the resolution of the photos in Photoshop, does it help?

I really appreciate your expert advice and opinions on this. Thanks.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 06 January 2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: First time posts are not permitted links.

Default Re: Website Design - Photo Format and Alignment

Welcome to TalkGraphics

First time posts are not permitted links. But your question does not rely on your link for an answer.

96dpi is pretty standard for web images. If you increase the resolution it will not change the image on the web. It will just make the file size larger for the image and the image will take longer to load.

For flat graphics, or even photos, PNG 24-bit or 256 colors (8-bit) is good, though for photos the file size will be larger than JPEG. JPEG is better for photographs, but keep the compression to about 10-20 percent if you want to hold detail. JPEG is not good for flat graphics and areas of solid color as the colors tend to get soft and bleed.

Agreed with gwpriester.

96dpi is standard size for all web pages.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics

First time posts are not permitted links. But your question does not rely on your link for an answer.

96dpi is pretty standard for web images. If you increase the resolution it will not change the image on the web. It will just make the file size larger for the image and the image will take longer to load.

For flat graphics, or even photos, PNG 24-bit or 256 colors (8-bit) is good, though for photos the file size will be larger than JPEG. JPEG is better for photographs, but keep the compression to about 10-20 percent if you want to hold detail. JPEG is not good for flat graphics and areas of solid color as the colors tend to get soft and bleed.

You both right

Quote Originally Posted by hudafaeq View Post
    Agreed with gwpriester.

96dpi is standard size for all web pages.