Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do they do that?

On this link to some family photos on the UNCA server, when I bring one of those pics into Pro X it is over 30mb. There are 5 pics on the link but it loads almost instantly. How do they do that? - jb

http://cdm15733.contentdm.oclc.org/c...y/order/nosort
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: How do they do that?

I am not sure how they do it, but there is no earthly reason why a photo on a website should be that large. Unless your aim is for people to download the photo for printing in mind.

I just looked at the first photo and it appears that there are two or three photos side by side, but the file size is not that large. The one segment I downloaded is only 20.6K

My mistake, Gary - I had copied the larger pic from the site and if I go to export .jpg it comes up at 30513 bytes. If I download the thumbnail it comes up a 5897 bytes.

What I am trying to figure out is how to get the quality and detail of these pics on the ones on my web site. I scanned the pics on the web site back in 1990 with what at the time was a "good" scanner. Wondering what do I use to re-scan or whatever to get this detail.

I have searched for scanners and read several articles that rate them - then read the reviews and they are all over the place, some love and some hate the same model. It you or anyone else has suggestions would appreciate it. I have old negatives of several sizes, photos and slides I would like to do.

Take care - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

.... but there is no earthly reason why a photo on a website should be that large.
    Unless its a Google maps type site Gary. I should imagine its done in a very similar way. When you zoom in on an image on Google maps it's not a single hi-res image you're zooming in on, it's a series of smaller images tiling on the screen. You can see this if you zoom in on jebs images and right click / view image. At the varying zoom factors you're not viewing the same image but progressively reduced sized images which are tiled on the screen (which you did mention).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeb.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	93841  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Tks for the help, guys -

Gary, does one have to go through these steps for each photo? I want to make every pic on my web site able to zoom and magnify and have a lot more pages to put up.

Have gone to the link given - http://codecanyon.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=zoom - but don't know which one might do what I want.

Also, have tried to use the widget cloud tent 1 but when I go to save it just sits on "loading". Have tried several different pics with different res. Also both .xar and .jpg.

Again, tks and the best to all in the NEW YEAR. - jb
    Last edited by jeb; 01 January 2013 at 06:54 PM.
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

I have been trying to figure out how they get the detail in these pics when they zoon in.

When I cut/paste into Pro X, no matter which I copy - original size or their zoomed ones - the detail is completely gone. When I take any photo I have in Xara and zoom it the detail is gone.

How do they get this detail - right down to nails in the building and the sign detail when zoomed when using a file that loads so fast? - jb

http://cdm15733.contentdm.oclc.org/c.../id/1170/rec/2
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Jeb, it's lots of javascript trickery.
    Have a look at the page source to get a clue.
    You can't do this in Xara, not natively and not without a lot of external & inline scripting. You've been shown a few alternatives, if these aren't suitable then I suggest you try to contact the web master of the site you keep linking to and ask them how it's done and if you can buy/borrow the scripts?

OK - I have contacted UNCA and they will be back in on the 16th - maybe some info then. - tks - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com