Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do i get my site to look the same on different resolutions?

I have a 1920x1080 resolution but I want my site to look normal on smaller monitors when other people see it. How do I get the website to detect what kind of resolution it is being displayed on?

Also do you think this xara company is going to be in business in 10 years? Because if I'm going to use ths software I want to know it is still gonna be around for the long haul.

Default Re: How do i get my site to look the same on different resolutions?

Xara creates WYSIWYG web designs which is to say that your pages are a fixed size and objects are in fixed positions.
    Your site will therefore always look exactly the same on every screen, only difference being that smaller screens or browser windows will generate scroll bars.

To your second question:

How sure are you that you will be around in 10 years?

Xara has thus far been around since 1981.
    Read more here ► http://www.xara.com/us/history/

Thank you sir/madam for your kind answer.

I have since read on the forums elsewhere that there is a tweak that if I am reading correctly auto detects what the visitor's resolution is and can then serve them one of four preprepared versions? let's say I made separate pages for tablet, mobile, and widescreen and square pc monitors....?

Am I correct? What exactly does this tweak I am speaking of do? Does it automatically detect what version of the site should be given to the visitor??????

Thank you, you are a lovely person.

Can I just ask you something else?

I use a firefox add on called nosquint. Now nosquint zooms all the text on all the pages I visit to 140 pc. Usually on most sites on the web, this zooming works well without the text clustering and overlapping, but on all the example xara websites I've looked at, this text clusters and overlaps. If I turn my add on off , i can see the xara designer's original intent, but boy oh bo is it small on a 1920 x 1080 full hd widescreen screen....

Quote Originally Posted by spool View Post
    Can I just ask you something else?

I use a firefox add on called nosquint. Now nosquint zooms all the text on all the pages I visit to 140 pc. Usually on most sites on the web, this zooming works well without the text clustering and overlapping, but on all the example xara websites I've looked at, this text clusters and overlaps. If I turn my add on off , i can see the xara designer's original intent, but boy oh bo is it small on a 1920 x 1080 full hd widescreen screen....
    Yes? What was the question?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yes? What was the question?

Am I correct? What exactly does this tweak I am speaking of do? Does it automatically detect what version of the site should be given to the visitor??????

What does the tweak do? the tweak?

This tweak (created by Covoxer) does no more than detect the width of the visitors browser (viewport) and serves them a prepared version closest to that size.

<script type="text/javascript">//<!--
    // This snippet automatically loads the best
    // matching variant of the page for the window width.
    // ... see the code below for settings ...
    var my_wps_w=parseInt(xr_xri.style.width); var my_wps_n='';
    function my_option(name, width){if(width!=my_wps_w)
    {if((document.documentElement.clientWidth<my_wps_w && width<my_wps_w)||(document.documentElement.clientW idth>=width && width>my_wps_w))
    {my_wps_w=width;my_wps_n=name;};};};

/************************************************** *******/
    // If you have created multiple variants of the
    // same page that have different widths,
    // list them all here (including this page),
    // then copy&paste this placeholder to all variants.

// In every option you have to enter correct
    // file name and real width of the page in that variant.

// List of page variants:

my_option('index_m.htm',250);
    my_option('index_vga.htm',600);
    my_option('index_xga.htm',1000);

// end of page variants
    /************************************************** *******/
    if(my_wps_n!=''){window.open(my_wps_n,'_self')};//-->
    </script>

In reality you can never know the width of the browser window (viewport) of all visitors, for example, just because someone has a 24" monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080 does not mean the user of that computer has their web browser at full screen, quite the contrary. Polls have shown that most people with very large monitors never have browsers at full screen, it's a waste of real estate.

My advice is to create a site of no wider than 955pixels and let the visitor decide how they want to view it.
    As mentioned in my first post, your site will be 100% exactly the same at any resolution - it will not change. Some visitors will need to use the browser scroll bars while others not.

I have my browser maximized. I know some people don't. So this tweak, could it more or less acurrately predict if a visitor is on an ipad tablet and serve up a ready made version of the side with different sizing?

Like if I laboriously make a tablet version of my site, just for tablet users?

Xara sounds good, I'm yet to get into it for real, but I'm put off by some smarty pants who said it was "so 2005". Surely if I've decided I don't like the generic way all CMS wordpress sites all look the same and feel the same, Xara could be for me?

I'm planning a site with a few hundred pages, tens of thousands of links, and hardly any graphics. It's going to present research into a scientific topic.

Once it's all done, tools exist right? that crawl your site and detect dead links? Is this available?

Can someone tell me why I keep getting automatically logged out of this forum?

With hundreds of pages and the need to present text with some graphics, and wanting to accommodate adaptable sizes, I'd say Xara is hardly the right tool for you. You may wish to reconsider wordpress or another template based system.

Your comment about the company being around in ten years time made me laugh. Will it take you that long to make the site, do you think?

;-)

Can someone tell me why I keep getting automatically logged out of this forum?
    make sure you tick the 'remember me' box when you log in [and your browser must be set to allow cross-session cookies of course]

Thanks Pauland. But I think the site is going to be time consuming to make either way. What would you recommend? I'm going to have to individually organise tens of thousands of links manually anyway. And when I used Xara for a couple of hours it looked easier than learning how to use dreamweaver.

Wordpress seems hard too. Isn't it just for blogs?

I don't know.

I went to your site. Is that really you sitting on the word? Or some random bloke?

I wish I knew how to do the stuff you know how to do. I wonder how long it would take learn. What is it you do? make mobile apps? wow.