Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Xara Web Designer MX Premium 8 Video Tutorials and Xara Web Designer 7 Premium

I suppose its a preference thing because I would much prefer this layout of layers - as I dont think it affects the operation of the website I suppose its down to the individual on how they work

Scripts
    Information
    Other Content
    Videos
    Images
    Mouse-Over Layer
    Mouse-Off Layer

cheerz

Default Re: Xara Web Designer MX Premium 8 Video Tutorials and Xara Web Designer 7 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by trukkerz View Post
    mmm thanks for that i will have to give that some thought - although I have never came across it before it sounds logical but I would of thought keeping the mouseoff and mouseover layers together reduces the risk of renaming them unless that is just me - keep up the good work :-)

You could keep them together.... I guess at the end of the day its personal preference both methods allow you to keep them pretty safe. I also prefer the method I use because it works well for me because I think of mouse-over as the highest layer and mouse-off as the lowest layer aside from background and all in-between layers are layers that I have created.

I suppose its a preference thing because I would much prefer this layout of layers - as I dont think it affects the operation of the website I suppose its down to the individual on how they work

Scripts
    Information
    Other Content
    Videos
    Images
    Mouse-Over Layer
    Mouse-Off Layer

cheerz

I wish I had an example I could show you but its been years since I had any problems with the layers. I remember awhile back I had problem with layers but I think that was with like version 6 of the program, which is when I started using the method I showed you. I tested it the way you mentioned and it seems to be safe so I would stick with what you have been doing. I will have to make an update tutorial on that subject or add a note into video.

I would nt bother with an update video as your method works well - and teaches people to do things in an orderly manner - me i,m just lazy lol - .

Quote Originally Posted by champ View Post
    I think of mouse-over as the highest layer and mouse-off as the lowest layer aside from background and all in-between layers are layers that I have created.
    The mouseover is always the top layer even if you have new layers above it in the layer gallery.
    (Internally they are special layers)
    mouseover-always-ontop.xar

The DPX Help file explains;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mo.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	94168
    Note: The mouseOver layer must always be above, that is on top of, the MouseOff layer, as shown in the above example.

I would nt bother with an update video as your method works well - and teaches people to do things in an orderly manner - me i,m just lazy lol - .
    I can be lazy too but for efficiency purposes only lol I tend to use all the short-cut keys instead of actually going to any of the menus... that's one of the first things I practiced when I started using the xara web design software. I try not to use the short-cuts in the video because not everyone is going to remember them when starting out learning the program. However I might start using them slowly just to get everyone one the same page and moving faster so that my tutorials can be shorter and faster to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The mouseover is always the top layer even if you have new layers above it in the layer gallery.
    (Internally they are special layers)
    mouseover-always-ontop.xar

The DPX Help file explains;

Thanks for the feedback and good illustration!

so as long as the mouseover layer is above the mouseoff layer it makes no difference in what order you stack the layers :-)

cheerz sledger

Thanks so much Steve for helping me out. I previewed yours and it worked great. I set mine up the same way and it checked out great twice, but now for some reason, both your file and mine in preview mode try to got to "lost webpages" page on the web. I am hoping this is my computer but won't know until I get the site uploaded. Thanks for TALKGRAPHICS and all your help.

In WD, make sure you are previewing the website and not the page because all pages need to be exported to Xara's temp folder when previewing.