Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Xara Web Designer MX Premium 8 Video Tutorials and Xara Web Designer 7 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Craray View Post
    I was already subscribed.
    These tutorials were very useful for me as I just started out with this software.
    Thanks!
    Great! You made a good choice Xara is one of the best design programs available their really isn't anything else out their quite like it.

Default Re: Xara Web Designer MX Premium 8 Video Tutorials and Xara Web Designer 7 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Hello There, I just came across your posting of the tutorials I have just started to watch them. They are very informative and very well laid out. I just bought designer 7 premium and is very daunting at first. I was only buying the program to make a banner to add text and pictures and your explanation of all the tools, text tools shaping tools so far is really great to find the extra functions available. Also the other things in the previous lessons.
    I'm a quadriplegic and have asked some help on doing a couple of things with this program and a tutorial is come in very handy for me is difficult to read manuals and PDF files are not much better trying to go through each subject.

Thank you so much for going to the trouble of making these tutorials, it helps me greatly regards Mark
    Your Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Abikadabra View Post
    Fabulous Champ! You have certainly put in a lot of effort in preparing these tutorials. They are easy to follow and very informative. Thanks very much. Cheers, Abi
    Your Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Choctaw View Post
    Champ, thanks for some very good information. I am just starting out with xara web creation and can use all of these videos. Bring them on.
    Choctaw
    No Problem I will keep making new tutorials as long as I continue to get new subscribers and feedback such as comments and so on to let me know what the viewers want me to create. If you would like to see a specific type of tutorial just let me know.

hi first of all a big thank you to champ for these superb tutorials - you have put a lot of effort into them well done - just one thing I have just watched number 12 (layers) and you say all new layers should be dragged inbetween the mouseoff and mouseover layers ?? is this correct as I have never done that and never had a problem or is it just a preference thing ??

keep up the good work - cheerz

Quote Originally Posted by trukkerz View Post
    hi first of all a big thank you to champ for these superb tutorials - you have put a lot of effort into them well done - just one thing I have just watched number 12 (layers) and you say all new layers should be dragged inbetween the mouseoff and mouseover layers ?? is this correct as I have never done that and never had a problem or is it just a preference thing ??

keep up the good work - cheerz
    Its more of a strong recommendation than an absolute have to do thing. The Mouse-Over layer is for revealing hidden objects so placing something above a hidden layer is somewhat counter-intuitive. I think having it between the mouse-off and mouse-over layers to keep everything organized is better and will lead to less errors. Also the Mouse-Over layers is a special layer and you don't want to accidentally change the name thinking it is an ordinary layer. So by keeping the special layer for mouse-off at bottom and mouse-over at the top it lessens that chance of causing errors in your web design site. In other words any layers you create in between those layers will be layers you created and named. You could have multiple layers that have different names and if your mouse-over layer is mixed in with those names it is very easy to make a mistake and re-name it. In general I don't think it is a good practice to put static content or stationary content above a mouse-over layer. I may have to add a note of clarification though to the video so thanks for the insight.

mmm thanks for that i will have to give that some thought - although I have never came across it before it sounds logical but I would of thought keeping the mouseoff and mouseover layers together reduces the risk of renaming them unless that is just me - keep up the good work :-)

I have just watched the tutorials on navbars and it's helped a great deal in understanding where I have been messed up previously. But I am still stuck, as I have a site I have been asked to build and the drop down links on the sponsors page are supposed to link with the catagories listed on the sponsor page, ie:attractions, restauraunts etc. Can this be done with xara? I am really struggling for some reason to figure it out and my deadline for the project is drawing near. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by trukkerz View Post
    mmm thanks for that i will have to give that some thought - although I have never came across it before it sounds logical but I would of thought keeping the mouseoff and mouseover layers together reduces the risk of renaming them unless that is just me - keep up the good work :-)
    I will try to explain a little better what I mean. Imagine that the information I write below is layers and each name represents a layer:

Scripts
    Information
    Other Content
    Mouse-Over Layer
    Videos
    Images
    Mouse-Off Layer

Notice how the mouse over layer is mixed in with all other layers? If for some reason you accidently change the mouse-over layers you want know it because its mixed in with other layers. Whearas if you list it this way you will immediately notice if proper layers still are named properly:

Mouse-Over Layer
    Scripts
    Information
    Other Content
    Videos
    Images
    Mouse-Off Layer

By keeping the special layers at bottom and top I can immediately see if they have proper names. When your website starts to grow bigger and you have a lot of layers sometimes you make mistakes that can effect how your website behaves and by keeping the layers the way I have shown allows me to eliminate that as one of the problems. Sometimes I also have viewers send me their files if they need help with finding out what is going on with their website and this allows me to quickly check if they have a problem with layers or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Elledge View Post
    I have just watched the tutorials on navbars and it's helped a great deal in understanding where I have been messed up previously. But I am still stuck, as I have a site I have been asked to build and the drop down links on the sponsors page are supposed to link with the catagories listed on the sponsor page, ie:attractions, restauraunts etc. Can this be done with xara? I am really struggling for some reason to figure it out and my deadline for the project is drawing near. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I am understanding correctly you want to link the sub menus to those categories. If yes, I would go to your navigation menu bar properties by double clicking on your navigation bar you created. Then I would check the settings category and make sure you have the "automatically link to all pages" option unchecked. That way when you create a new page it doesn't automatically create a new tab in your navigation menu bar. Once you do that when you create a new page go back to your navigation menu bar and create the sub-menu you want and link it to the new pages you create. Let me know if that resolves your problem.