Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Make straight lines look hand drawn?

now if the solution was to import a pdf from illustrator - well that's not undo-able in xara is it - so it's back to square one [illustrator] to redo.. so why not just draw it in xara in the first place ... over the existing lines... with the shape tool if you don't have a graphic tablet, or you want micro-control...

I thought the undo was important.....

[edit - and the illustrator effect is still artificial - 'wave' amplitude/frequency are patterns, and it will tend to show; humans don't draw like that unless they mean to for a reason...]

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    but not as quick as redrawing it with a graphic tablet and pen
    I have a Wacom, but for this solution I need the effect to be controllable. I'm not sure right now how rough I want the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    And just how often would you use it I wonder?
    I'd say that it would be an alternative or addition to custom bridges for cartoonists.

if I'd known you had access to illustrator I'd have mentioned it, nearly did in fact...
    You should have mentioned it

don't forget, if it's supposed to be a brush line there will be swells, on the other hand if it's a ballpoint pen there should be texture, ballpoint ink is a dye it is not solid black...
    Ballpoint was my guess. I don't know how the illustration I am using as reference was actually drawn. Please refer to it.

now if the solution was to import a pdf from illustrator - well that's not undo-able in xara is it - so it's back to square one [illustrator] to redo.. so why not just draw it in xara in the first place ... over the existing lines... with the shape tool if you don't have a graphic tablet, or you want micro-control...

I thought the undo was important.....
    It's undo or redo-able in that I can load up illustrator and export a new PDF if I need to change it. Not ideal, but an option.
    Just take my word that drawing it is not really an option. Thanks.

[edit - and the illustrator effect is still artificial - 'wave' amplitude/frequency are patterns, and it will tend to show; humans don't draw like that unless they mean to for a reason...]
    There is a random element to the effect, see my description of the illustrator setup. Try it in illustrator and you'll see.

It is exactly what I was looking for.

Most folk who have Illy have used it or one of the others at one time, wasn't the best thing to come out the CS at that time. Can I suggest that you use Illy for the whole drawing and have a look at the Brush Libraries right at the bottom of the Windows menu. If you could load say both the Artistic Chalk Charcoal Pencil and the Calligraphics and have an experiment there and if you can't get what you want then make your own as it's not that difficult. A good bit in the Help files on that subject.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
    I have a Wacom, but for this solution I need the effect to be controllable. I'm not sure right now how rough I want the lines.
    actually my comment of post#34 was in answer to Frances in post #33

I'd say that it would be an alternative or addition to custom bridges for cartoonists.
    ?

You should have mentioned it
    so it would appear

Ballpoint was my guess. I don't know how the illustration I am using as reference was actually drawn. Please refer to it.
    not ballpoint [as in 'Bic']
    fibre tip maybe [old rotring xenon; pilot DR...]; could be isograph, dip pen, marker... not possible to assess without seeing the original, have to say though I could do that easily in photoshop 100% digitally....

It's undo or redo-able in that I can load up illustrator and export a new PDF if I need to change it. Not ideal, but an option.
    Just take my word that drawing it is not really an option. Thanks.
    well its always more difficult to help when we are not told what it's for....

There is a random element to the effect, see my description of the illustrator setup. Try it in illustrator and you'll see.
    I don't need to try it, I already know what it does because I use illustrator a lot, and incidentally x64 CS6 is very very powerful and an excellent tool that I would not be without
    The random element you refer to isn't really random, that's an illusion caused be wave interference patterning - but if it is not obvious in your application no worries - be aware of it though....

It is exactly what I was looking for.
    enjoy .... any chance we could see some finished work

Was supposed to say: I'd say that it would be an alternative or addition to custom brushes for cartoonists.

Here's my work in progress, it's a book cover for a Kickstarter project, based on the design of old Sega Master System video game box art.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ma...hl=en&tbm=isch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	93959

closeup of the boots
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closeup.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	93960
    Last edited by gingerbeardman; 07 January 2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added closeup

yes that reads better - I can see it being a useful alternative to pressure sensitivity in xara , along with the illustrator width tool and wrinkle tool both of which you might find useful whilst your using it

attached is an illustrator wrinkle applied to a brush stroke to simulate an admittedly stereotypical 'hand drawn blotchy-pen line'....

thanks for the artwork, always good to see things in context, be good to see it finished
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illywrinkle.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	93962  

The book is not being published until Autumn, so it's a way off being finished.

Nice use of Width and Wrinkle.