Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rich

How would one even know about a Smith chart. It is obvious that this is where the structure of the image came from.

Is this something one learns about in higher math? Algebra and Geometry was as far as I ever got kicking and screaming.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

It is just a different field of expertise.
    I looked at this because someone wanted to draw a Smith chart. The chart graphic already existed, and it was a matter of finding a compatible application to work with it. It isn't a plot type I use, I was just interested in converting the file into a more friendly form. Take a look at Venn diagrams. They are something that would be easy to create in Xara X. In other applications, it would be a struggle. I am sure I would get some strange reactions if I used your terms on the people I work with. More that I already get, that is. Rich

Smith charts are used in the electrical/radio engineering business. They are used to match the right transmission line for a particular antennae or active network you are desiging with. Learned about them in an electronic communications class many moons ago. (...as the earth cooled [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] )

... Egg! Sorry, to hear that my post made you loose precious sleep. I think that you did a great job though, with more fiddling I guess you could align the dots in the same type of excactness as the original.

AND I'm so disapointed over finding out about this Smith chart thingy. A CHART! Bah! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] My book of the history of graphics design suddenly lost some of it's luster... Nah, I still think it is a cool looking design.

Rich - you are freaking me out! How would have known... a "Smith chart"... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Just think, posting that image at exactly the right time for some one to see that had seen the image several years before, and saw the similarity. You must have a magic touch. And after that, it is only a visual interpretation for a better understanding of the meaning of the information. I think you are doing the same thing by convertng your ideas into a graphical model of what you mean to say. I see it as another way of communicating. Rich

Hello

They are used to plot the polar response of aerials and transmitters in 3D space.

Also used for audio microphones.

It is to do with imaginary numbers and the square root of -1.

Engineers use j as the letter for the imaginary portion of the equation as Egg showed.

Physicists and mathematicians use i.

I remember using them at university to plot the characterics of waveguides and transmission lines.

Mike Engles