Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I retain high image resolution?

Hi,

Can someone help me out please!

When I capture my laptop screen (1366x768) and then resize the image to (500xwhatever), the image becomes distorted.
    I need to reduce the image size to (500xwhatever) in order to fit it in a website. I use Photoshop as the editing tool but even when I used a vector based image processing tool (i.e. CoffeeCup Web Image Studio), the result are different yet distorted. I can use Flash if that would help but I don’t have Illustrator.

Can anyone please give me guidance of what I need to do?

Regards,

IK
    IP

Default Re: How do I retain high image resolution?

Welcome to TalkGraphics.

I think Photoshop is your best application for resizing images. How are you using the images? Print? Web?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics.

I think Photoshop is your best application for resizing images. How are you using the images? Print? Web?

Thanks for you response...
    I am using Photoshop… here is what I am doing. I am capturing the screen through “Prt Sc”

Pasting the clipboard content into a new image (1366x768 – Res. 300 px/in) in Photoshop

Cropping it and end up with an image (1366x678) – Please check the attachment (Gold_001.jpg)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold_001.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	93729

(even here on the forum the quality of the above is lower because the size was reduced to 800x397 which seems to be the forum rules)

I then use Photoshop/Image Size option to scale the image size down to (500x248) and the result would be similar to the attachment (Gold_002.jpg)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold_002.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	93728

You can see how the quality degradation. How can I fix that? I mean decreasing the size of the image without affecting the quality?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

IK
    IP

This image would be better suited to PNG type rather than JPG.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    This image would be better suited to PNG type rather than JPG.
    Ah ok... Will give it a try.. Thanks.
    IP

Hi,

I tried usning PNG instead of JPG but the result was similar...
    IP

JPEG is better suited to photos. Sledger is right, a PNG is better for getting cleaner colors such as red which is always a problem, especially with JPEGs. And even in Photoshop.

If the image if for a website then you can probably use 8-bit PNG (256 colors).

But the image is only going to be as good as your screen capture.

Are you creating the images or downloading them from the web? Because if you are creating the charts then it is best if you can export them from the application in which the chart is created.
    IP

Add the original screenshot to a .zip file and attach it to your next post please
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Add the original screenshot to a .zip file and attach it to your next post please
    Here you go... Thanks.. While the problem was solved using the application as suggested by gwpriester. It would still be great to know the proper method in case the application wouldn't support saving the image.

Gold_001.zip
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Because if you are creating the charts then it is best if you can export them from the application in which the chart is created.
    Many thanks... That did solve the problem... I tried using the 8-bit PNG but the result wasn't different. For now the problem was solved but I still love to know if there is other way of not affecting the quality when scaling sown the image. Thanks for your help.
    IP