Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sculptris

Default Re: Sculptris

Hm. I know this thread is a couple years removed from the last post, but considering Zbrush has only recently released a new version (2019) and Sculptris is now fully integrated into Zbrush, it might be a good time to talk about a little history regarding Sculptris... Sculptris was originally created by Tomas Pettersson as an "alternative" to Zbrush style sculpting. It was one of the first sculpting packages which did not require you to subdivide the mesh into millions of polygons to get the detail you needed. It has a brilliant method of adding detail as you sculpt, which was previously thought to be impossible with the technology of the day. However, with some very clever mathematical algorithms and programming, Tomas created what was to become a technological breakthrough in digital asset creation. Pixologic (Zbrush) noticed the brilliance and simplicity to this style of sculpting and immediately scooped Tomas up to work for them under the Pixologic umbrella. At that time, the software known as Sculptris was still only in Alpha stage, not even a Beta yet. Pixologic didn't want the Sculptris software as much as they wanted the technology behind it. So they offered Sculptris as a free download to get people interested in sculpting, and have since integrated the tech into their flagship Zbrush, along with enhancements and improvements to the feature sets which were part of Sculptris. Sculptris PRO is now a fully fleshed out feature within Zbrush, and combined seamlessly with all the existing brushes, alphas and features of Zbrush itself.

Thanks for this information luxxeon... I remember when this app first came out... a few of us here at TG played around with it for a bit... then again, we also had ZBrush, so it was fun to test drive, and then back on the lot sort of thing... do you work with this toolset within ZB currently?

FWIW, if your budget is a whole round number approaching zero, the 2011 iteration of Sculptris is still available, zero support (fair enough), but free and a good self-training area for that big jump to Z Brush.

Sculptris Win and Mac

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Good Place Guy.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	125586

I used a forensic modeling program to do a rough 3D sculpt, then detailing, then texturing, and then into modo for lighting and rendering. No, it's not up to the finesse other, more experience 3D portrait artists do, but I know how to juggle. Can they? :)

I must commend Pixelogic for leaving a legacy product up, not for 8 years. Some manufacturers close the door the split second a new, more expensive program c0omes out, and I'm not picking on any specific company Adobe.

My Best,

Gary

Just downloaded it, and I'll play with it as soon as I have time, see what I can do with it...

This was our fun effort using scuptris back in the day... DoDo Bird.. lol... not our cup of tea, but I am sure that others will take to this sculpting app with some real vigour. Love to see some other member's worx here . Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dodo1.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	125592  

Sculptris can bring new experiences to me personally as well as others when I first started owning and using it.
    Good!

Hi Tim—

I just looked and my suspicions were confirmed; yes, you can download an alpha of Sculptris which is about a decade old, at Softonic

But Pixelogic bought it quite a quile back and transmogrified the3 product into (free) ZBrush mini-core, which has a $$$ big brother they push, but that's not the point.

ZBrush mini-core has updated tools, can export to OBJ, and the people DO update it. I just received a new version (you need to register) with quite significant number of new operations.

Free ZBrush mini-core

Name:	ZBrush minicore.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	131377

Also, also, Autodesk offers a free basic sculpting program called MeshMixer MeshMixer, which appears to be a new development and not Mudbox, which they acquired ages ago. The unique thing about this as an entry-level sculpting program is thast you can import an OBJ file and mess with it...hence "mesh mixer".

Name:	Autodesk Meshmix.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	131378

Happy sculpting, in any case.
    —g

On another note, you guys might check out a site called opensea.io

This is a site for listing and selling NFT (non fungible tokens). People all over the world are marketing NFT images, a huge amount, images they did not create and are using to make money.

A colleague of ours pointed out quite a few of our stereogram images that were being offered on the site. I made a list of mine and had them all removed.

Most of these people have no concept of copyrights (and of course all my copyright info was cropped out) and they just think if it's on the web it's good to go.

Some explanation of this vaporware thing called an NFT https://www.investopedia.com/non-fun...ns-nft-5115211

Yours is a good shout-out for all content creators, Og.

As soon as yu become addicted even in the least to Crypto-currency, you begin to play a stock market that is weighted heavily against the investor.
    My advice, not than anyone has asked, is to keep selling what you're selling on reputable site stores, and when someone comes around advising you that NFAs or similar are a great way to make money quickly, ask them who is at the top of the pyramid.

OoG
    Last edited by Gare; 17 January 2022 at 08:43 PM.

I agree. And there is so much stuff on that site most of those people will not see a dime.

We put a bunch of our stereogram images on shutterstock.com, a legitimate stock image site, thinking we would get rich. So far I think our royalties have not gone over $20. Max.