Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
Hi ElixirBloue—

I think Pixelogic is giving the beta away for free, because:

1.) It's been in beta for such a long time I think Pixelogic is just leaving it as is, and giving it away for free as an enticement to upgrade to ZBrush...which is dumb because although they both can sculpt, the interfaces and features are entirely different. You want t work with a Pro tool like ZBrush, as ILM and other animation houses do, you choose ZBrush. You want to sculpt in an easy, intuitive way, but with limitations that ZBrush could provide...you go with simple and free.

2.) Scultris was developed by Tomas Pettersson because he had a private need as an artist to make a "modeling clay" program, and he's made several other 3D programs (applets, actually)...and he's a good-spirited individual and originally gave all his projects away to help other ambitious artists. I believe when ZBrush discovered the programs, it scared the living kah-kah out of them to have a powerful program like theirs out there for free,so they locked it up by licensing it.

In this case, "free" means you need to register at Pixelogic so they can send you SPAM email regularly, but then the program is free to download. You'll seen my work with the dubloons above...I have no regrets or problems with the features.

In a parallel example, when Xara released the first version of the drawing program, Mike Cowpland at the time CEO of Corel Corp. soiled his britches when he saw it and offered Xara a six year contract for distribution. Corel then "buried" Xara to avoid competition, by calling it the best Web Graphics program, and severely under-advertising it.

Get the copy and then bock email from Pixelogic to avoid spam-related headaches. It's really a fun program:

My Best,

Gart
I always doubt free stuff because they always come with strings attached. I tried the free program and it's actually free. The only thing i had to put up with were the incessant emails but that's manageable. I've been working on my anumation skills and i might upgdare to the ZBrush, which is actualy their end goal.