Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sculptris

Default Sculptris

This might go better in a different thread, but Sculptris was acquired by Pixologic a few ago, and although it doesn't have the feature set of ZBrush, the price to date is free, and I'd think would be of interest to folks who want to get into sculpting after solid geometry and parametric surfaces has worn thin.

I'd compare this free product to both Autodesk Mudbox and 3D Coat, not as feature-filled, but Scuptris has gotten me where I want to go more than once. If you just need to move surface areas and rotate and scale them, and don't want or need stencils and other tangentially related features...

Download Sculptris for the price of a user name and email address

They're really not phishing; they just want to send you a link to download, and to try to send you a regular newsletter.

This image is not displacement-mapped. I sculpted the coin's face with Scultpris and this is part of an animation inside C4D with GI and all that good stuff. :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dubloons0100.jpg 
Views:	1049 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	93712

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: ZB4R5

There is a Sculptris forum at ZB central with lots of info and stuff as well.
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/forumdi...ris-Main-Forum

Default Re: Sculptris

That's some pretty nice sculpting Gare...

Hi Gare, are there any limitations to using this free software? It looks very good and I like the 3d painting feature. But free usually means not very good. Why would they give it away for free?

Hi ElixirBloue—

I think Pixelogic is giving the beta away for free, because:

1.) It's been in beta for such a long time I think Pixelogic is just leaving it as is, and giving it away for free as an enticement to upgrade to ZBrush...which is dumb because although they both can sculpt, the interfaces and features are entirely different. You want t work with a Pro tool like ZBrush, as ILM and other animation houses do, you choose ZBrush. You want to sculpt in an easy, intuitive way, but with limitations that ZBrush could provide...you go with simple and free.

2.) Scultris was developed by Tomas Pettersson because he had a private need as an artist to make a "modeling clay" program, and he's made several other 3D programs (applets, actually)...and he's a good-spirited individual and originally gave all his projects away to help other ambitious artists. I believe when ZBrush discovered the programs, it scared the living kah-kah out of them to have a powerful program like theirs out there for free,so they locked it up by licensing it.

In this case, "free" means you need to register at Pixelogic so they can send you SPAM email regularly, but then the program is free to download. You'll seen my work with the dubloons above...I have no regrets or problems with the features.

In a parallel example, when Xara released the first version of the drawing program, Mike Cowpland at the time CEO of Corel Corp. soiled his britches when he saw it and offered Xara a six year contract for distribution. Corel then "buried" Xara to avoid competition, by calling it the best Web Graphics program, and severely under-advertising it.

Get the copy and then bock email from Pixelogic to avoid spam-related headaches. It's really a fun program:

My Best,

Gart

Smile Re: Sculptris

This is really a cool program -- so easy!! Nice that you can use your models in ZBrush and further refine them if you want to also. I quickly modeled a fat cat head and rendered it out in Vue4.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feline_relic_sm.jpg 
Views:	702 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	105573  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Hi ElixirBloue—

I think Pixelogic is giving the beta away for free, because:

1.) It's been in beta for such a long time I think Pixelogic is just leaving it as is, and giving it away for free as an enticement to upgrade to ZBrush...which is dumb because although they both can sculpt, the interfaces and features are entirely different. You want t work with a Pro tool like ZBrush, as ILM and other animation houses do, you choose ZBrush. You want to sculpt in an easy, intuitive way, but with limitations that ZBrush could provide...you go with simple and free.

2.) Scultris was developed by Tomas Pettersson because he had a private need as an artist to make a "modeling clay" program, and he's made several other 3D programs (applets, actually)...and he's a good-spirited individual and originally gave all his projects away to help other ambitious artists. I believe when ZBrush discovered the programs, it scared the living kah-kah out of them to have a powerful program like theirs out there for free,so they locked it up by licensing it.

In this case, "free" means you need to register at Pixelogic so they can send you SPAM email regularly, but then the program is free to download. You'll seen my work with the dubloons above...I have no regrets or problems with the features.

In a parallel example, when Xara released the first version of the drawing program, Mike Cowpland at the time CEO of Corel Corp. soiled his britches when he saw it and offered Xara a six year contract for distribution. Corel then "buried" Xara to avoid competition, by calling it the best Web Graphics program, and severely under-advertising it.

Get the copy and then bock email from Pixelogic to avoid spam-related headaches. It's really a fun program:

My Best,

Gart
    I always doubt free stuff because they always come with strings attached. I tried the free program and it's actually free. The only thing i had to put up with were the incessant emails but that's manageable. I've been working on my anumation skills and i might upgdare to the ZBrush, which is actualy their end goal.

Well, your is the first post in two years, but I started the thread, so I might as well chip in here.

Sculptris is still available for free here, and because this download is titled "Alpha 6", I think it's safe to say that Pixelogic decided to abandon parallel development with their flagship, ZBrush. Pixelogic did some UI tweaking, and added a format called GOE or something that allows Sculptris files to be worked with in ZBrush, which they hope you'll eventually buy.

Now, when you sign up for the free download (no strings except you tender an email address), you can opt out of the sales emails. I don't know what anyone else does, but for friendly but nagging email, I use a Google account as a burner account. Company emails don't make it to my door.

I also recommend one of the best free spam blockers around, been using it ever since Cloudmark got greedy and dropped their free version. Which is not only dumb for window-browsing currency, but users of any account help them define a wide spam base every time you report that letter from Nigeria thing. :)

It's called Mail Washer Free, very robust and catches 90% of my spam, and I don't see them killing off the free version. There's a prompt, not really a full-blown nag, every once in a while, not a problem.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to move up from primitives and Booleans to actual 3D sculpting in a capable, free program that can export beautifully to our coin of the realm OBJ.

Name:  wooden-guy-sig.jpg
Views: 2670
Size:  5.7 KB

Thanks Gare good info on this thread, I will give mail washer a try. I have had Sculptress for years but rarely use it myself.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Because I'm not very good at sculpting in 3D,

1.) I practice and try to learn, and

2.) It's very therapeutic, just gooshing a sphere into an unrecognizable lump.

I did this today, and I promise it offers some release. My credit card was suddenly blocked because the amount was atypical for my activity. I had to get on the walkie talkie THREE times before someone at Citi found a way to do something to lift the block.

Scuptris helped, really.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	118492

Here's a big CTRL+ALT+DELETE for Citi.

And I hope you were in the middle of something.

:)

-g