Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Magix crapware install foiled!

I have to agree with Jon. I avoid software companies if I find they want to put a bunch of foistware and crapware on my computer. The marketing stupidity of it offends me, and it feels disrespectful and insulting to me. If any Magix decision makers come here, I hope they make note of it. I haven't upgraded lots of software that's still quite usable precisely because I'm sick and tired of all the garbage that gets foisted down our throats here in the United States.

There is an argument that one of the reasons paid for software and stuff is so much cheaper in the US is because of subsidy by this kind of 'marketing' of free product - but it is dishonest not to tell the user up front what will be installed so that they can decide for themselves if they want to pay the price of the free lunch.

Look at the fuss when MS decided to turn on 'do not track' by default in IE10 - and 'do not track' is not even enforceable

Well, Handrawn,

I can tell you that when I get stuff from Magix, (Xara and their movie stuff), I get it from the company site. In fact, I usually get stuff from the company site. Neither Magix nor Xara have tried any of that funny business on me yet, and I don't expect it

There are a few companies I've stopped doing business with precisely because of foistware and crapware. I'll not mention them here except to say they're not Magix.

However, it is extremely bad theater for Magix to allow a third-party site to add crapware and foistware to demo downloads. It shows a stunning lack of imagination. Doesn't someone there understand that first impressions count, and if someone legitimately downloads a demo and gets a lot of crap, that makes it look sleazy?

Too many companies are penny-wise and pound-foolish.

No its not good, it will make them look bad Alan, that's for sure

I don t know if it is still working
    there was a time that a direct download link was also visible in cnet under the normal download button(maybe it was only when you log in with your account)

just want to say downloadcrew is giving away magix photo and designer 6 start on saturday 13h till monday your local time
    don t know if it a clean download

think that link is what steve [sledger] was referring to - I just got an immediate download dialog on the cnet site, but then I'm not a member and I don't recall giving them any specific scripting or cookie permissions

I just installed the download from downloadcrew
    I used custom install to see what came up
    I registered on the xara and got a licence key and it seems ok
    it mentioned full working version (or something like that)
    now it just shows a pop up when opening to upgrade to a newer version
    I think when installing the free one it is possible to upgrade at a discount price
    I just give the information as it seems to me
    greetings

I had a quick look - didn't see Magix PD6 for download, but I did see version 7 and its quoted as 28MB in size, so I would guess there is more there than just the program [see post #9 above] -I didn't download it...

Hi

we cross posted - thanks for the run down, maybe I'll give it a go.. [if I can find ver 6]
    Last edited by handrawn; 29 December 2012 at 01:33 PM.

(http://giveaway.downloadcrew.com/?ac....spreadTheWord)
    I downloaded it from this site
    depending from were you live the download will yet work or you will have to wait till it is saturday 13hClick image for larger version. 

Name:	xara photo and graphic.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	93793