Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Soquili TG - A new collaborative font project.

I thought I would have a go at the Seal Of The Cherokee Nation, as practice.
    Does someone want to have a look at the .xar file and tell me what is required, to produce the sort of work that can then be used in the font.
    What's wrong with it? What needs attention? etc...

Also, would the leaves and the 7-point star need to be transparent or solid?

Then when we do start work on the font, more time can be spent on producing good quality work.
    Or, I can wait till we all start.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cherokee seal.png 
Views:	2174 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	93559  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

It would be hard to tell anything from the PNG Rik we would need to see a .xar file and Gary would be the best one to look at that, but lets not start posting .xar files just yet we need to do some research and come up with ideas and we can't just publish things with out being sure we aren't violating any copyrights. Once we have found appropriate source material and any needed permissions have been secured then we can move forward.

The Cherokee Seal might be nice but first some research needs to be done to see if it is copyrighted and if we can get permission to use it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

This has little to do with the typeface at the moment, but as Rik has requested, here's what one needs to create a glyph in a typeface:

• I realize it's hard to count, but ideally, a glyph should have no more than 200 control points. More, and it just slows the user down when they type with it. Understand that fonts are little runtime programs and the operating system needs to run the fonts.

• A glyph should be one shape, not two, not groups of shapes. You'd use the Shapes>Combine Shapes menu item.

• Lines aren't valid. All areas in a gylph have to be a shape, so if you designed a glyph with lines, you need to Convert line to Shape.

• Color makes no difference. I'll take a brown or a red glyph. The black you see when you type is the shape and white is clear, the absence of a shape in any given area.

I think those are the "biggies". If there are minor problems, I can fix them when I compile the font.

You know, those basketweave patterns looked quite handsome and would be useful in certain design situations. If I had the time, I'd play with the patterns, and see if there was an ideal style that lent itself to a glyph in a typeface. I've seen Rococo, Venetian, French-inspired from Art Nouveau, but I've never seen a Native American pattern glyph. I'm certain the Cherokee Nation has produced some visually stunning pattern work.

-g

I don't know whether you've seen the Cherokee Font - expect you have. I remember Bill posting something about this a couple of years ago.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I myself have never seen it before John posted the link; thank you, John. But I recommend that we don't go anywhere near an actual tribal alphabet to honor Bill, because we'd need to research the context of not only the glyphs, but also the native language. Here's an example of the Digohweli typeface; I've entered some characters from the Unicode extended range. They are cast in a Roman style, but the non-English characters are wonderfully artistic and remind me a little of Saxon runes and alchemy symbols.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alphabet.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	93598

No, I feel strongly that to honor Bill Taylor with a font that represents some of his heritage, we need to go symbolic, generalizing what we present, and proceed with a hunility based on the fact that none of us will really understand what was in Bill's mind and spirit any better than we did the day he passed on.

My Best,

Gary

Default How about a Horse font?

Barbara had an excellent idea for creating and dedicating a typeface to Bill Taylor’s memory.

She’s thinking outside of the box.

Instead of patterns or Cherokee glyphs…Bill’s nym on tg is “Soquili”…”horse”.

One of the most famous series of horse pictures is Edward Muybridge’s motion study of a jockey riding a horse. The images are Public Domain (this study is over 100 years old, 1878), and what I did with this animated GIF is just take the guy off the horse. I think the imagery itself has a sort of majesty and magic, a fitting dedication, I feel.

Name:  Muybridge-study.gif
Views: 2097
Size:  56.0 KB

So what about we re-render this motion study as vector art, and make each frame into a font character? Make the mane flowing, remove the saddle, make the artwork free and untethered.
    And then we show people how to type each character on a frame in Xara to recreate the motion study?

I feel strongly that overall, it would be an inspired effort that matches Bill’s tireless spirit.

My Best,

Gary

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: How about a Horse font?

I love this idea!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Very cool idea. I like it. This would be like no other font that I know of.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Our Administrator has a unique vision here. ;)

"Soquili.otf" might be not simply a stencil font of different horse postures as it goes through a gallop, but each gylph would be a frame in a potential animation.

So it's more than a typeface, just as Bill was more than a tg Moderator to all of us.

I can help make this happen, but I'd like my role to be the guy who evaluates the project from an animation point of view: how well the gylphs work together both as artistic glyphs you can use to make patterns and borders and also how easily the glyphs can be used by the average Xara artist to make a swf or AVI file.

I PM'ed Frances that I have the highest resolution files from Edward Muybridge’s early photography. If we all agree, I can begin by cleaning up the frames for manual tracing.

I have some, but not an extraordinary amount of time between Christmas and New Year's Eve'.

Votes, all?

My Best,

Gary

Sounds great! This sounds like the best course of action to me.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.