Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: How about a Horse font?

I think this will be a very good way to honour Bill's memory. Gary and I have discussed doing the horse in silhouette, to simplify the glyphs. It will be very important for us to maintain consistency with the glyphs or the animation won't work, and each glyph should be artistically pleasing for use as borders clipart etc. And as it now stands Gary is the only one who will be doing the coding work so when he is ready he will set specifications for size etc and will give us an example of what he will need.

If there is anyone who has experience with font creation programs (Gary uses Font Lab) I'm sure Gary would love to hear from you!

In Gary's words;

think,
    Spirit.
    Art.
    Beauty.
    Eternity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default A Day's End Report

A Day's End Report

I believe I wasted a little time because (again, again) I wasn't thinking outside of the box.

Attached are two frames that I retouched to remove the rider from the horse. These are about the best still images anyone offers on the web, from the motion studies of Edward Muybridge. It didn't take me long to trace one, but you know what?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muybridge.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	93761

We can do better, and really should, for Bill's sake.

So what I have here is a Poser horse (the DAZ Millennium horse, actually) in two different still poses. This is a LOT easier to trace, and because I can light the thing with edge lighting (as I taught in November in the video tutorial) we could Threshold the poses and make a more visually intricate typeface.

Name:	Poser-horses.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	93762

I'm exactly $14 from getting motion tracks for the model so it will leap, gallop, and do about 7 other pacing motions. This would fill the character slots for the font, you know? What I'd like to do is ask our 3D Moderators if they can think of a better approach. I did give this some thought, but perhaps gidget or Mike might see a better still way to arrive at our goal. If not, I'm going to get the motion tracks, apply them, and then present the group with an animation—that if you approve it—I'll break it down into assignment-sized frames and we could in theory get to work by the New Year.

the animation tracks shown on youTube
    I can pose the frames better than the YouTube example.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: A Day's End Report

Sounds like a winner to me. (pun intended)

Christine

Default New motion study

I messed around with a lot of different models, moving at different speeds today.

The main and tail will have to be creatively designed or I'll have to go back and take some Poser lessons because I gave up trying to key and independently animate these areas after an hour of futile labor! It's not hard to modulate the location of the tail; if you get stuck, I can lend a hand on these areas of the glyphs.

In an hour or so, I'll post a few frames from all of this, along with one of my own traces, and let's see if everyone can get a feel for creating a horse silhouette glyph, okay?

It has to be one path, although you can combine shapes, and it must be closed.

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 12 August 2013 at 02:22 PM.

Default Re: New motion study

How do we feel about these three frames and the try I made at tracing off one?

-g

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	93782

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	643 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	93783

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	93784
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I like the horse it's self but would it be possible for us to do the tail and mane in a similar manner as this? http://www.artworkandprinting.com/ga...decal-60-p.asp

I think that maybe we should have a design for the tail and main that can be used as a guide. That is it would be pre designed and fitted to each glyph so we can maintain the consistency but still get the movement when it's used as an animation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Those look good Gare.
    Here is a video showing horses running and their tails moving around. Does this help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXIabr0-QOc
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi Larry—

The video you link out to helps a little.

Clearly, you folks need a complete frame from which to draw; the project will never get done in bits and pieces.

I think I have a solution to provide our group with complete frames of a horse galloping, with a natural progression in the mane and tail areas.

I'm going to hand rig these parts, render an animation separate from the torso, and then use After Effects to wed the two animations.

This is not going to happen overnight!

Stay tuned in early 2013 (which isn't that far off)—

Gary

Default Re: Soquili TG - A new collaborative font project.

I, Stephen Whittle, as a contributor to the project undertaken by a group in the TalkGraphics.com Fonts and Typography Forum, to create the following font, Soquili TG, grant a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sub-license, and distribute [the] Contributions I made to the work and such derivative works.

I understand that this is a license agreement only; it does not transfer copyright ownership and does not change my rights to use the artwork I contributed for any other purpose.

Stephen Whittle, Manchester, England.

Default Re: Soquili TG - A new collaborative font project.

I Frank Wognum, as a contributor to the project undertaken by a group in the TalkGraphics.com Fonts and Typography Forum, to create the following font, Soquili TG, grant a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute [the] Contributions I made to the work and such derivative works.

I understand that this is a license agreement only; it does not transfer copyright ownership and does not change my rights to use the artwork I contributed for any other purpose.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.