Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Below is my first attempt at a portrait using Vladymir's brilliant tutorial. As I am definitely not an artist don't expect too much.

Christine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eloise_Portrait.jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	2275  
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Below is my first attempt at a portrait using Vladymir's brilliant tutorial. As I am definitely not an artist don't expect too much.

Christine
    Christine

Very good, I think you are an artist, maybe your not a brick mason, have you laid any brick lately?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I don't know why you said that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

You are a fabulous artist, she is very well done.

Don't be so hard on yourself !! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Actually I like the look on her face, she looks like she's listening to her mom telling her something VERY important, and mustn't miss a word of the advice!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I appreciate the compliments.

Mike - I haven't laid bricks for several years but have done in the past when we were extending our house. Quite good at mixing plaster too.

Christine
    Christine

Looks really good to me - I love her expression! Penny

I'm still working on mine. I did not take Gary's advive after I posted Zara (my daughter) i.e. he gave good advice in saying don't do your kids it will be so close to you that your never see it as right! But I've been working on a pic of Jonathan my son.

Is yours from a photo? I'm having problems with smoothing the 'block colours' with the oval swatches - did you use this technique? For me I feel it's not a Xara problem, but it is a visualisation thing. That is when I look at the photo then look at the drawing to date I can't see the best placement of the objects to tone the skin.

Given your final result seems perfect, can you share your biggest problem you overcame? If you had any [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Turan

Christine

You may not be an artist, but you sure render like one :-)

I think you have done a remarkable job. Your flesh tones are quite good and rich.

And the hair is fabulous.

This, I assume, is your grand daughter?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

A great job, Christine--she's really cute and I love her expression!!! You're an artist in my book [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img], no "maybe's" about it!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Glad to see some others giving this a try too!

---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

... might not think you are an artist, but I definately disagree too.

Also, being in a somewhat pedantic mood, I decided to look up the Oxford dictionary definition:

Artist - person who produces works of art, esp. paintings; one who does something with exceptional skill ...

IMHO you fit that description, your portrait is wonderful! The skin tones are exceptionally good, you have captured that sort of 'luminous' skin quality that children have and the expression is very pensive. Great work!

Turan - one trick I have often used to sort out tonal values of something I am reproducing, is to look at it with my eyes only just open (if you understand what I mean, like when you go from a dark environment into a brighter one) this helps to block out the actual colours and you can determine tonal values (ie what is dark and light) of colours much more easily. Although I wouldn't do it too much, as you are using facial muscles to do this you can end up with a a bit of a headache!

Thanks for sharing Christine.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!