Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can the drop copy settings be changed?

When you select an object by left-clicking, unless you move the object immediately after clicking, a duplicate of the object is made. This is a handy feature—I think it's called "drop copy" (although copying by right-clicking or using the numeric "+" seem to be the only forms of drop copying described in the help file). However, it would be useful to be able to be able to extend the time before a drop copy is made, as often one doesn't move the object immediately after clicking and then inadvertently creates a duplicate. And sometimes one doesn't even know one has made a duplicate this way. Is there a way to change the drop copy setting?

Default Re: Can the drop copy settings be changed?

Quote Originally Posted by M.U.D. View Post
    When you select an object by left-clicking, unless you move the object immediately after clicking, a duplicate of the object is made.
    Unable to repeat that (pun unintended).

Quote Originally Posted by M.U.D. View Post
    When you select an object by left-clicking, unless you move the object immediately after clicking, a duplicate of the object is made. This is a handy feature—I think it's called "drop copy" (although copying by right-clicking or using the numeric "+" seem to be the only forms of drop copying described in the help file). However, it would be useful to be able to be able to extend the time before a drop copy is made, as often one doesn't move the object immediately after clicking and then inadvertently creates a duplicate. And sometimes one doesn't even know one has made a duplicate this way. Is there a way to change the drop copy setting?
    I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for. Drop Copy only happens when you press both left and right mouse buttons at once (usually in the process of dragging an object by holding the left mouse button, moving to the location where you want the copy, and hitting right mouse button). If you left click an object to select it, then let go of the left mouse button and right click it, you'll get a popup menu (or whatever behavior you've set for your right mouse button in the Mouse tab in Options). Creating a duplicate only happens if you right click, then drag the object at all (which I suppose can happen by accident).

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Thanks Ben. It seems there must have been a problem with my Xara or my mouse settings because objects would duplicate themselves when I selected them and held them for longer than a second with a left-click.
    I can't fiddle with the settings as my trial is now over.

Thanks again,
    M.U.D.