Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

As we all know, Windows Me doesn't include the QuickView command. However, I found an excellent explanation on how QuickView can be restored in WinMe -- and preview Xara files -- at Adding Quick View to Windows Millennium. It worked perfectly for me, and I want to share it with you.

Here's a brief step-by-step procedure:

1) Be sure you have installed the Xara Quick Viewer from the CD.

2) Download the Windows95 version of QuickView from Microsoft: QuickView download

3) Execute or unzip the files inside the archive.

4) Install QuickView by right-clicking the file QUICKVU.INF and selecting Install from the pop-up menu.

5) In Windows Explorer, select Tools / Folder Options, click the File Types tab, select .XAR files, click Advanced, then New. In the Action field, type QuickView. In the Application Used to Perform, type C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/VIEWERS/QUIKVIEW.EXE "%1". You may repeat the procedure for .WEB files as well.

Done. The QuickView option should appear when you right-click a Xara file. If it gives an error message, try Sean Sedwards' Fix for Xara Quick Viewer.

Have fun! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Rubem
    Rubem Pechansky

As we all know, Windows Me doesn't include the QuickView command. However, I found an excellent explanation on how QuickView can be restored in WinMe -- and preview Xara files -- at Adding Quick View to Windows Millennium. It worked perfectly for me, and I want to share it with you.

Here's a brief step-by-step procedure:

1) Be sure you have installed the Xara Quick Viewer from the CD.

2) Download the Windows95 version of QuickView from Microsoft: QuickView download

3) Execute or unzip the files inside the archive.

4) Install QuickView by right-clicking the file QUICKVU.INF and selecting Install from the pop-up menu.

5) In Windows Explorer, select Tools / Folder Options, click the File Types tab, select .XAR files, click Advanced, then New. In the Action field, type QuickView. In the Application Used to Perform, type C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/VIEWERS/QUIKVIEW.EXE "%1". You may repeat the procedure for .WEB files as well.

Done. The QuickView option should appear when you right-click a Xara file. If it gives an error message, try Sean Sedwards' Fix for Xara Quick Viewer.

Have fun! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Rubem
    Rubem Pechansky

I don't have ME so there may be issues about which I'm unaware, however I'd recommend that you install QuickView first and only then install the Xara viewer from the CD. That means you should uninstall the viewer if you installed it before QuickView.

QuickView doesn't normally use the conventional file association - it has its own list in the registry. The Xara installer adds XAR and WEB files to that list and may need it to exist for the installation to be successful. Hence, Rubem's step 5 may be unnecessary if you reverse his earlier steps. Having said that, if you don't get a "Quick View" option when you right click a XAR file, you'll have to enter the association manually.

For the sake of the knowledge base, please let me know if I'm right or wrong.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Sean,

You are probably right. It should be safer and simpler to install QuickView first. However, if you happen to have the viewer installed already, the additional procedure (step 5) should do the trick.

If anybody out there can confirm Sean's procedure to work under WinMe, please do it!

Rubem
    Rubem Pechansky