Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

The XaraXone

March Xara X Tutorial

Steve Newport - Featured Artist of the Month

Tony Roberts' Guest Tutorial

XaraXone Shareware Page

Click Here to Make the XaraXone #1 at Graphics News

Comments are always appropriate [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	march_promo.jpg 
Views:	877 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	2038  

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Amazing images Steve, so now I'm afraid I'm going to have to hate you ... na only kidding ... because when I look at some of the stuff I did at 16 - even 18 years of age I really shudder at some of it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts exactly, Su.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I've installed Sean's plug-ins and applied them to some bitmaps: the result is somewhat blocky - will this be solved with the registered versions???

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

The XaraXone

March Xara X Tutorial

Steve Newport - Featured Artist of the Month

Tony Roberts' Guest Tutorial

XaraXone Shareware Page

Click Here to Make the XaraXone #1 at Graphics News

Comments are always appropriate [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

I welcome feedback about my software, especially requests for improvements because they give me something to aim for. I can't guarantee to match commercial products, but it's sometimes possible to get quite close with a little bit of additional effort.

Jens, if you send me a non-jpeg version of your original graphic I'll see if I can get closer to the performance of the KPT version, but no promises!

Regarding the emboss filter, I'm not sure what edge defects you're talking about. If you mean the colour fringes on the yellow 'spheres', that's the normal result of this type of embossing (i.e. happens in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro etc.). I could easily get rid of it but then the filter wouldn't be standard, although I'll do it if everybody wants it to work that way. The alternative is to convert the image to greyscale either before or after embossing.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Hi Gary

Yes looks good!

Have to check it out later.

BTW you are up early, I noticed you just posted this and the PST is around 5am you are an early riser. (it's a more respectable time here in the UK ... early afternoon).

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Gary's graphic says it all, but I think a few words of explanation will be helpful.

The spherical mould filter works by stretching a bitmap around a sphere. Visually, the centre is enlarged by 57% (i.e. multiplied by 1.57) and the edges are compressed to (almost) 0. Any jaggies in the central region will be magnified by up to 57% and may look even worse because of the circular distortion. Continuous tone photographs will be less affected but text and graphics should probably be oversampled by a minimum of 57% to maintain quality in the central region. Graphical images which have not been anti-aliased may need greater oversampling because of their inherent 'jagginess'.

Note that if you're going to increase the dpi of the bitmap by 57% or more on the page (i.e. by reducing its size or increasing the dpi of a fill), there's no need to oversample the bitmap.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

I am getting a bad habit of pointing out the bad bits - no offense intended.

All excellent stuff.

But.... (it's just a small but [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] )

The picture to guest tut 13 has a link to gust tut 12.

Turan

Gary - An excellent tutorial with some very interesting techniques! The final image is beautiful! Thanks for putting it all together for us.

Steve - Wow! You creations are absolutely awesome! And you do white-water canoing, rock-climbing and sing... You will be permitted to marry my daughter 20 years from now - unless you fall in love with Adobe... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Tony - Thank you for your unselfish contributions to the Xara community. Great job on the tutorial - your efforts are appreciated!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

By the way Gary many thanks for the tut. Remember I was asking sometime ago on how to do this.

As for Tony's stuff - excellent follow up to an excellent part1.

Turan