Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: publishing website EMERGENCY

I see directories listed but no web pages. I actually prefer using FTP as you can always see exactly what is going where. (Also, for the more technical, Xara does not support SFTP, so the host may not be accepting the upload?) But using FileZilla is so easy, just drag and drop and you SEE what is happening, please give it a go and you will soon feel more 'in control'. If you are still pulling your hair out, we can all see how frustrated you are getting, I do not mind a PM and will help in any way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by andymack View Post
    I see directories listed but no web pages. I actually prefer using FTP as you can always see exactly what is going where. (Also, for the more technical, Xara does not support SFTP, so the host may not be accepting the upload?) But using FileZilla is so easy, just drag and drop and you SEE what is happening, please give it a go and you will soon feel more 'in control'. If you are still pulling your hair out, we can all see how frustrated you are getting, I do not mind a PM and will help in any way possible.
    Andymack, I DID have SFTP marked on my webhosting account, but I switched it to FTP because I thought that mght be the problem. I did download Filezilla, but had no idea how to use it. Any tutorials I found spoke way over my head. I did find one that was fairly straightforward, but it was telling to me drag and drop into a file I didn't have (at least I couldn't find it) Then someone told me with Xara I didn't need to use Filezilla, so I uninstalled it.

Quote Originally Posted by andymack View Post
    ... I do not mind a PM and will help in any way possible.
    That's good but if the problem can be solved on here it would help other people too.

Dolivo :- It could be as Andy says about SFTP. I've never had any problems publishing from Xara I must say. It would be helpful to see those exported files in their folder first though if that's ok
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

What I meant by "PM" was giving her my phone number or Skype and talking via phone or verbally somehow, as I can sense Dolivo is very close to getting this done, and maybe I can talk her through each step? Of course, any result would be recorded on here, as I totally agree, the forum is the place to find answers, I use it every day!

JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by Dolivo View Post
    Andymack, I DID have SFTP marked on my webhosting account, but I switched it to FTP because I thought that mght be the problem. I did download Filezilla, but had no idea how to use it. Any tutorials I found spoke way over my head. I did find one that was fairly straightforward, but it was telling to me drag and drop into a file I didn't have (at least I couldn't find it) Then someone told me with Xara I didn't need to use Filezilla, so I uninstalled it.
    When using FTP, YOU do not have the option to change anything if your host stipulates one protocol over another. If you were given user name and password with an FTP or SFTP, encryption setting, you cannot change it. When using Xara's own built-in FTP uploader, it does not allow anything other than plain vanilla encryption; FTP only. If your host uses anything other than that, you cannot change it at your end, you can only use what they provide. So, by using FileZilla, which you now know intimately by the sounds of it, you can see if anything actually gets uploaded or not. Try it one more time: username, password EXACTLY as given to you by DreamHost and set the FTP protocol to the exact one they stipulated in their instructions. You will immediately see if you are logged on or not, you will see the contents of the space you bought from Dreamhost. Now on the left panel, navigate to your exported website folder. Drag ALL the contents of that folder; web pages and the "index_htm_files" sub folder, into the Dreamhost panel on the right, into "hlhas.com" directory. If you cannot get this far, you will need to actually talk to someone about what to do next.

Publish your website to a folder on your desktop.

Open Filezilla and log into your web hosting FTP account.

Open the folder on your desktop. Select all of the files and the folder. Drag and drop the files from your open folder into the appropriate directory. In the attached I have dragged and dropped the files into my htdocs folder which is the folder my web host requires sites be published into.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filezilla.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	93354  

andymack you said " When using FTP, YOU do not have the option to change anything if your host stipulates one protocol over another. If you were given user name and password with an FTP or SFTP, encryption setting, you cannot change it. When using Xara's own built-in FTP uploader, it does not allow anything other than plain vanilla encryption; FTP only. If your host uses anything other than that, you cannot change it at your end, you can only use what they provide"

I went into my web host domain account and took (my first!) screenshot of where I changed it from SFTP to FTP. It's marked as FTP. I didn't recieve a message from dreamhost that it couldn't be changed or anything. So now I'm confused.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot 1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	93355

Also here is my convo with the Dreamhost tech service people. Don't know if this helps.

DREAMHOST: "it looks like the problem here is that you're uploading your files to
    the wrong place. It looks like you're uploading them to:

/home/dawnolivo/

You want to upload them to the site directory so they post on your site:

/home/dawnolivo/hlhas.com/

The files are already setup under /home/dawnolivo/ so you can either log
    in via an FTP client or WebFTP and just move those files into the
    directory or you can just re-upload them to the correct place, which is
    /home/dawnolivo/hlhas.com/.

DOLIVO: I can not figure out how to do this. Can you give me step by step instructions and also how to set it so that when I publish from my web program it goes to the right place automatically? PLEASE?

Of course, naturally the answer was from a different person who didn't answer my question but instead told me to just upload filezilla and that would solve all my problems. at that point I put down my laptop and walked over to my wall and started slamming my head into it repeatedly.....

Welcome to our world...

What Dreamhost is telling you, is that you have uploaded your files to the wrong place on their server, which means you only have to log into Dreamhost and move them. On the Dreamhost side, click on 'home' then click on 'dawnolivo' click on 'hlhas.com' and inside THAT directory, drag your website into there. We will see how you get on by checking your website!